Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Carbon Arrows How long they are good for >

Carbon Arrows How long they are good for

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Carbon Arrows How long they are good for

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default Carbon Arrows How long they are good for

I have just gotten back into shooting bow after about a 15 year layoff and we did not have carbons back when I used to shoot alot, just aluminum. So my question is: Under normal circumstances how long is a carbon arrow good for provided it's never hit by antoher arrow and/or has never hit an object other than a arrow target it was intended to hit?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbon Arrows How long they are good for

It depends on how well the spine holds upand the straightness. I've heard of guys using the same arrows for 3 years.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have arrows that are 5 years old. I use them now for grouse arrows. And stump shooting. They can last a long time. Just remember to continually flex the arrow. make sure it is not splintering or anything.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In theory they won't wear out. I've had arrows last thru several game animals not to mention countless practice shots for several years.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 AM
bigcountry

If they are just sittin around, they will last as long as the epoxy holding them together, that could be decades, who knows. But I found shooting them alot, the spine starts getting weaker but the bow usually does too.

I have this PSE Mohave setup, I have used for 8 years. I used the same beman hawks for 5 years. They alway flew good. I hadn't tuned the bow (as it was a spare) for years. But always made sure it was zero'd if I needed it. Well this year I changed the strings and cables, and now my bemans didn't shoot so well. Way too weak. The bow had lost poundage from string stretch over the years. It was a fast flight string which will stretch. They used to shoot fine at 67lbs. Now too weak. All I can figure is they lost alot of spine.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have 10 old AFC 2400 with outserts. I have had them at least 8-10 years and still shooting them and they still shoot where I aim and fly very straight and they have been shot a TON.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the input folks!!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Just a reminder, I never thought about this till last year when I put some of my oldgoldtips on a scale.I had been shooting them for a couple of years and thought I knew the weight.I mean I knew the weight when they were new and I had them cut. They were about 10 grns lighter when I weighed them up this time. Every time I had them refletchedI was losing weight due to the carbon being shaved off with the old veins. It doesnt really matter to me now, my arrows are around 375-380 grns, but if yur pushin for speed and shooting light arrows its something to think about.

Tim