Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Forget the wind, just hunt? >

Forget the wind, just hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Forget the wind, just hunt?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Forget the wind, just hunt?

Forget the wind, just hunt. Who has not heard that slogan? Well the argument might never cease. However after seeing an episode of Mythbusters today, and watching Adam and Jamie trying to trick a bloodhounds nose with all kinds of myths, I came up with an idea :idea:
I got onto there site and posted on there "Myth idea" forum, where you enter myths you would like them to solve on TV. I asked them to find out if its a myth or fact that you can fool a big bucks nose. If you have a minute, go to there forum and post to my link asking them to do that episode... I for one would really like to see it!!! Heck, you might even have something to add to my idea to make it better!!!
Here is the link:
http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=6941912904&f=9701967776&amp ;m=1731956098&r=1731956098#1731956098
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Forget the wind, just hunt?

while in search and rescue class a couple weeks ago we had police K-9s come in to do some demos. most of us are LE majors anyways..so he showed us attacking and stuff...be also airscenting and tracking. if deer work like them dogs, there aint no fooling a deer. them dogs were GOOD. a guy walked a big loop around the field, woods and swampy very wet area. it was also raining pretty hard and the dog had to work with the wind behind it or across it the whole time. the dog never seen him or watched him and didnt get let on the track for a good half hour. that dog had NO trouble tracking. the trainer and handlers said that dogs will find you...some are better than others...but they are better than most people imagine. he said that people crush vegitation and emitt alot more scent than we think. he said to a dog we look like the kid on charlie brown with the giant stink cloud around them.

i wish i had my truck...i would liked to spray down with DDW and lay a track to the dogs...if you can fool the dogs nose you can fool the big buck i bet.

i dont think anything out there is 100% effective...but im sure some helps somewhat...would be neat to see an episode on it...but they would never give away what products they used...

if/when i get my k-9 it will be trained to track...and i'll put him/scent products to the test...but that wont be for 2-3 years...if im able to get and use one wherever i end up working.

i do know i spilled gasoline on my hands one day...i had the DDW laying on my passanger seat...i was like what the heck lets put it to the test...i can wash my hands all day and still smell gas. sprayed them with DDW and i couldnt smell it. i was like yaaa ya while its wet...let them dry...never smelled it. i thought that was amazing to say the least. but our noses arent good compared to a dog or buck
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure how much truth there is to it, but from everything Ive heard and read a bloodhounds nose is a ton better than a deers nose.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM

ORIGINAL: passthru79

Im not sure how much truth there is to it, but from everything Ive heard and read a bloodhounds nose is a ton better than a deers nose.
Ive heard the oppisate... A deer supposedly has more Ofactory glands to smell with than a dog and thus can smell better.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 AM

There was a scientific study done by D. John Shivik done with the USDA that is the most scientific done so far. There was also an Fox Investigative report done last year. There has to be someway to find a test that would be acceptable to everyone. The dogs really are so far the closest thing to a deer that can be found. The recent lab test do by SL are a joke and insult the average persons intelligence. The boiling point of EMA is 98.06F and one could just use an oven much less a dryer. While the real temperature needed to remove something like Butyric or Isoveric acids is over 300F. By the way were are Scentblocker and Cabellas in these discussions because they also manufactuer their own carbon clothing.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 AM

good idea
Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 AM

I seem to recall that Cool Hand Luke had an effective way of getting bloodhounds off the trail.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

This could be very profitable for the manufacturers of carbon clothing, but I for one dont think it will be.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about scentblocker or cabela's, I think they both pay licensing fee to scent lok for use of the technology, anway. I don't know if scent killing sprays will fool a deer, but there is a noticable difference to my nose, as to the level of smell after spraying something that stinks. A couple of years ago my buddy left some wet jersey gloves behind the seat of his truck. After a couple of days they really started to stink, we sprayed them down with White Lighting from Scent Shield and in a few seconds neither one of us could detect any oder at all. Not real scientific, but pretty tangeable for us.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I seem to recall that Cool Hand Luke had an effective way of getting bloodhounds off the trail
They used pepper and it didn't work either.

Quick Reply: Forget the wind, just hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.