Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question from a non-Bow hunter >

Question from a non-Bow hunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question from a non-Bow hunter

Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Question from a non-Bow hunter

Is it common for an arrow tipped with broadheads (heck, I suppose anything for that matter) to slip right through a deer?

It seems like it would be as there's several razor sharp blades slicing a hole at the forend. If and when it does, doyou guys try to find your arrow? Before or after trying to find your deer? It seems like finding one of them that might have passed all the way through would be just as nostalgic and fun as finding a projectile from a firearm.

If this is a super common question I apologize, I just thought it easier to ask than research.

Edit: I just noticed the ignorance of my post. Deer obviously aren't the only thing hunted with a bow. My apologies.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Question from a non-Bow hunter

No need to apologize.

Itry for a complete passthrough on every shot I take at an animal, I feel that it gives you the best blood trail and tends to stop the gritter (due to blood loss) faster than a non-passthrough. Most of the time you can find your arrow and it helps if you do. By examining the blood on the arrow it will give you a good indication of where you hit the deer ie: lungs, heart, gut, etc... This will help you to figure out (amoung other things) when to start on the trail of your deer (if you didn't see him fall within sight). If you notice that your hit was not as good as you would haveliked, you can ease out of your hunting spot and come back later to start looking for your deer.

This way you won't jump your deer and cause it to run into the next county to die. Odds are on a lethal but not great hit the deer will tend to bed down close by and expire after a while. If you spook it by taking up the trail too soon the adrenalin kicks in and the deer bolts, sometimes never to be seen again.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

pass thru is common. you try to find the arrow to help determine where it was hit

[/align]
Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pass-throughs are getting more and more commone with the increasing speeds of todays bows. Normally after the pass-through the arrow isnt laying too far on the other side of there deer as it slows down tremedously while passing through the deer.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM

Oh yeah, an arrow blows through a deer usually faster than they react.....The arrow is in them and stuck in the ground behind them before they run off.

The first thing I want to do is find that arrow. Not really for nostalgia (though it IS pretty cool) I use it to piece together pieces of the puzzle. IE, what type of hit was it. You can tell a lot from the arrow.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Like others, I use the "evidence" found on the arrow to tell me how well the deer was hit. Another motivator for me to find the arrow is the cost! Broadhead tipped carbon arrows aren't cheap (or maybe I'm the one that is cheap).
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the answer guys. I'd always wondered about that. I know that I personally would just about HAVE to recover my arrow hehe.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

No need to apologize.

Itry for a complete passthrough on every shot I take at an animal, I feel that it gives you the best blood trail and tends to stop the gritter (due to blood loss) faster than a non-passthrough. Most of the time you can find your arrow and it helps if you do. By examining the blood on the arrow it will give you a good indication of where you hit the deer ie: lungs, heart, gut, etc... This will help you to figure out (amoung other things) when to start on the trail of your deer (if you didn't see him fall within sight). If you notice that your hit was not as good as you would haveliked, you can ease out of your hunting spot and come back later to start looking for your deer.

This way you won't jump your deer and cause it to run into the next county to die. Odds are on a lethal but not great hit the deer will tend to bed down close by and expire after a while. If you spook it by taking up the trail too soon the adrenalin kicks in and the deer bolts, sometimes never to be seen again.
It can't be said any better than that. Good post Bigj.

Bobby