Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can the trophy determine what's ethical?? >

Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
So huntingBry is this situation also weapon dependant? Suppose you were hunting with a Rifle? what about Black powder? Pistol? Shotgun w/slugs?
Does your answer only hold water for a bow? What type? Compound? Traditional? Scoped CrossBow?
No, I don't see that the situation is weapon dependant. My point was you were not making an apples to apples comparison. All of the weapons you mention above are single projectile weapons which, generally speaking, have a most desirable shot situation being on a calm still animal.

Small game and upland bird hunting is based on flushing the animals and shooting them. Waterfowl is based on calling the birds in and taking them in flight. Big game hunting is based on getting within the animals defense perimeter and taking a clean killing shot.

It's like comparing trout fishing to ocean sportfish fishing. Yeah they're both fishing, but the way you do it is completely different.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Holy cow does it really matter?

Does a pack of wolves walk up on a deer and say "look she is sleeping, lets wait until she wakes up"

If you can sneak up on a sleeping bear, bedded buck or any other critter great for you. Does anyone think if the bear was hungry and found you sleeping he would wait until you had a sporting chance?

It is ok to take to shoot an animal while they are eating, but sleeping is out of the question, LOL

It is ok to trick a deer with scents and calls, but god forbid you hunt and stalk one and shoot during nap time.

Geez

Ok done with rant
You are so heartless!!! I would NEVER shoot a poor fuzzy wuzzy bear who was napping

Seriously, I don't see what the difference is between standing and feeding and not knowing he was about to get shot and sleeping and not knowing he is about to get shot.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you think that the bear would give you the courtesy of a wake up call if you were about to be his dinner?

I believe in ethics in hunting but give me a break. This is just ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. I have a question for you then, is it more ethical to track down a bear and shoot it while it's sleeping or shoot one over bait? From what I can tell most bears are shot over bait from a stand.

It's pretty hard to hunt something that can hunt you back.

In my eyes you have to have BIG brass ones to sneak up on a sleeping bear and shoot it from the ground, with a bow no less!

Paul
yes, and last time i checked the vitals on a broadside standing or sleeping bear are the same size[:-]
Yeah its probably a better shot because the bear will most likely not jump the string or move as you release the arrow! I'd take the shot!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Amen Germ, you can tell its the off season.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

You wouldn't shoot a sitting rabbit or a floating duck, goose, many don't shoot pheasants unless they take flight..etc. So does a sleeping bear deserve any less???
No YOU wouldn't do those things, I would shoot a sitting bunny in a heart beat, as a matter of fact sometimes I wait until they stop and then shoot them. And sometimes I like to sniper them with a .22, I would rather they are standing still when I do that. When I go bunny hunting it's me against the bunnies, they get no MERCY! They are just pretty woodchucks to me. I don't use a dog though, just me and a gun, maybe a buddy.

I don't waterfowl hunt, so I can't comment on that situation. I always thought shooting them in the water was illegal, looks like maybe it's just bad form, but not against the law?

And where I live you pretty much don't know there is a pheasant there until it's in the air, so you don't have much of a choice on that one. Again, I don't use a dog. I would have no problem shooting one running along the ground though. I love the taste of pheasant and they are hard to hunt in my area so I am not passing up any shot at one.

I will admit using a pointing dog and shooting them while sitting wouldn't be very sporting.

Thats just me though I guess.

Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Paul, the image of someone poking a bear with a stick to wake it up left me in stitches. I'll probably still laugh about it tonight and my wife will shake her head when she finds out the cause of my guffawing.

I've only hunted ducks a few times but I don't get that whole its unethical to shoot ducks floating in the water, only while they're in flight into the water? Seems to me like a duck is a duck. Now it's easier to shoot a sitting or floating duck, perhaps even less sportsmanlike if you dare say, but I don't see how its unethical or something that would lead someone to accusing you of being some sort of outcast for.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck,
That did conjure up a hilarious mental image, didn't it? There is no way that I could bow hunt brown bear from the ground. I have a phobia about those things. My wife wants to move to the Cascade Mountains in northern Washington State in a few years. It'd be beautiful, but I have abit of aproblem living where there are huge critters that caneat me, like Grizzlies.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM

If I can get withinMY effective kill range(regardless of weapon) on any legal game animal or bird. I'm shooting!! I don't care if it's sleeping, eating, drinking, breeding, or wiping it's......!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Bry:

What does the species of bear have to do with anything? Bedded deer, sleeping bear (any species), wallowing bull, whatever. You still need to have the skill to stalk through the animal's environment and get within their defenses to be able to get the shot, and still keep your composure while shooting. To me the type of animal in this case is irrelevant.
The reason I said what I did about the BROWN bear is......it's a HELLUVA lot more aggressive than a BLACK bear (which is what's more frequently hunted). My remark was in jest.

Quick Reply: Can the trophy determine what's ethical??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.