Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer travel

Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer travel

on an average how far do deer travelor how far from their bedding area do they spend most of their time ? do they spend most of their time in a small amount of acreage or is it miles ?

[/align]
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer travel

I think it depends alot on the deer and how mature it is as well as the time of year. I would say probably anywhere from a quarter mile to several miles durring the rut.

A buddy of mine videoed a buck on his property one summer and i ended up gettin trail cam pics on my property a couple miles away later that year.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

From what I've heard.....they stay fairly close until the rut. During the rut....a buck MIGHT travel several miles. I think does range fairly close to their bedding areas.

Isaw a TV show, out west, that showed a group of deer traveling 2 miles to a particular alphalpha field at night to feed. They were getting back "home" pretty late in the AM.....and were REAL easy to pattern.

I've also heard of deer traveling 2 miles to a mineral site. I'm not sure how prevailant that is, either......but it's interesting.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been seeing the same 4 does virtually every day on my farm. In the winter we got pictures of the same deer almost every day for over a month until we took the cameras down.

I don't think they move much as long as they have security, food, and water unless it is the rut. Then all bets are off and who knows where they will be tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rhody, if you want the most complete answer to your question, I'd really suggust asking TR Michels:

http://www.trmichels.com/
Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that during the summer an early oct they travel no further than about 1/2 mile, during prerut an rut around 2 or 3 miles. I think it also depends on hunting pressure anterrain an temps during the rutting period.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will also depend on how far away their food source is from their preferred bedding area. Out West it might be close to a mile. But in the East and Midwest it might be less than a hundred yards.

During the rut all bets are off. They will travel as far as their nose will pick up a hot doe and then the next one and the next one.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

great advice guys that is about what i thought a 1/2 mile . during the rut anything is possible . it would be interesting to know during the rut how far of an extreme they would travel . during the rut i have gotten pics of deer that i never seen all year

[/align]
Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 AM

it depends on the area, but usally they stick to there home turf, if theres cover food water and no presure
Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM

LAst year I passed on a buck that was all messed up on one side, I just didnt think he was big enough. But after I had seen him a couple of times I started wishing that I would have taken him just becouse he was a neat looking buck. Do you think he will be back around this year, or do you think he might have moved on to a different spot? My spot is about 10 acres. I saw him about 4 times last year.

And when a deer has a messed up rack, will it be like that every year after that?

Quick Reply: deer travel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.