Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's called HUNTING >

It's called HUNTING

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's called HUNTING

Old 04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default It's called HUNTING

Rob and I had a tough time with the turkeys this weekend.....but our wives and us had a blast, nonetheless. We hunted morning and evening Friday and Saturday......and saw birds in every sitting. The two highlights being a NICE bearded hen that we saw at 100 yds.....and an encounter with a longbeard spittin and drummin at 18 yds. He came in in full strut.....and it's just one of those things about hunting turkeys from a blind. I didn't have a clear shot out of the blind. I needed him to come about 10 more feet. He didn't....and he bugged out after about 5 minutes.

They all came in silent.....and we actually had birds roosting right above us, last night. Again.....no shot opportunities.

I'll let Rob give the details if he wants (in his journal).....but we heard probably 12-15 gobblers on Friday morning......a few Friday night as we hunted in the woods. Same thing Saturday morning......and then we waited back in the woods where we'd heard the birds roost on Friday night. 4-5 gobblers last night.....but everything either skirted us or came in silent to roost above us.

I think they're henned up pretty good, right now.....and hopefully it'll get better as the season progresses.I hunted 10 times in the first week (10 separate hunts)! I won't get to do that any more....but I'll be after them again.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's called HUNTING

So close but yet out of reach!! Did you have some brush between you and the bird, or why did you need him to come 10 more feet for ya to get a shot. 18 yards, that oughta be close enough! On edit, please tell me that the blind spot between wondow nets wasn't what kept you from getting the shot!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, glad to hear you guys had a great time .... one week from Tuesday is our season opener ....that following Friday my Dad goes in for open heart surgery .....not sure how much I'll be able to get out .....
Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

We had the blind cinched down on the sides and back so we wouldn't get silhouetted. The blind was cinched down pretty tigh ton the right side (the side the gobbler came in on).....with the netting down. When it looked like he wasn't going to commit the last 25 feet to the decoy......I saw him go out of strut and stand up. By the time Rob got the blind slid open a little more.....he was walking off. If he'd have come 10 more feet....I had a clear shot through the opening.

It was an exciting encounter for me. I'm not disappointed in the least bit. I've never heard one spitting and drumming at that range. It was awesome.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep after them Jeff. Turkeys can really be a hard bag if things don't go just right. When they are "hened up" I don't use any decoys. When I call and one gobbels I will only call again if I see him holding up and that is just soft purrs and clucks. Good luck next time out.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Keep after'em Jeff, you'll get that big Tom!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang tight Jeff, You'll get him! Good story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

that sux i havent even been out yet
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement.

Rob is still used to the run and gun (emphasis on "gun") tactics he's always employed. It HAS to be discouraging for him to have all the toms he had "hot".......and not be able to get closer to them (the boy can call....and he had 'em answering....they were just with hens and hard to get to come t us). To me......(and we talked about this)...it's a product of the way in which we've chosen to pursue these birds. If you're going after them with the bow.....and you've strictly chosen that route.....you HAVE to know you're gonna get disappointed, some. I wasn't disappointed this week, though. I had a blast.

PT....I'll be thinking about your dad. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time things do not go as planned. Still you had some great excitement and memories for later years even though you didn't score on a gobbler.Plus lessons learned.
I'll bet Rob filled you with so much info you are still feeling bloated.LOL
Glad to here you had a great time. Stick to it and it will happen.

Quick Reply: It's called HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.