HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It's called HUNTING
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default It's called HUNTING

Rob and I had a tough time with the turkeys this weekend.....but our wives and us had a blast, nonetheless. We hunted morning and evening Friday and Saturday......and saw birds in every sitting. The two highlights being a NICE bearded hen that we saw at 100 yds.....and an encounter with a longbeard spittin and drummin at 18 yds. He came in in full strut.....and it's just one of those things about hunting turkeys from a blind. I didn't have a clear shot out of the blind. I needed him to come about 10 more feet. He didn't....and he bugged out after about 5 minutes.

They all came in silent.....and we actually had birds roosting right above us, last night. Again.....no shot opportunities.

I'll let Rob give the details if he wants (in his journal).....but we heard probably 12-15 gobblers on Friday morning......a few Friday night as we hunted in the woods. Same thing Saturday morning......and then we waited back in the woods where we'd heard the birds roost on Friday night. 4-5 gobblers last night.....but everything either skirted us or came in silent to roost above us.

I think they're henned up pretty good, right now.....and hopefully it'll get better as the season progresses.I hunted 10 times in the first week (10 separate hunts)! I won't get to do that any more....but I'll be after them again.