Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do you use a rangefinder? >

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do you use a rangefinder?

Atlas...

I never had to "justify" that shot to anyone. But I'll tell you this......a 2" margin for error at +/- 30yds is OK in my book. I hit EXACTLY within that margin for error. T hereisn't a person on this board who wouldn't be proud of that shot......unless it's you.

I never had a problem with your "opinion". your first statement that was spouted as "fact" was the one I questioned. I thanked you for your opinion....and I'm sure it works for many people to employ your tactics. I've been in my woods enough times now and I have ranged ALL the areas I hunt. I just choose not to take the rangefinder with me when I hunt these familiar areas, anymore.

My shots at deer, this past season, were from 12yds, 19yds, 10yds, 6yds, 22yds and 33yds. I made a bad shot on the 12yarder......but that had nothing to do with ranging.

You keep doing what's working for you. A 2" margin for error at 30yds DOES come into play......depending on the size of your target, I "guess".
Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Atlas...

I never had to "justify" that shot to anyone.
You are the one who kept bringing up the dead deer to back up your opinion.

But I'll tell you this......a 2" margin for error at +/- 30yds is OK in my book.
Good for you..........I don't care if a 2 foot margin or error is OK in your book. I said I can't tolerate that.........never mentioned you.

I never had a problem with your "opinion".
10 pages and I am the only one you are griping about (BIG SURPRISE).

your first statement that was spouted as "fact" was the one I questioned.
Well multiple members have agreed with that first statement and repeated it since then and you have not said one word about them (BIG SURPRISE). Maybe their hunting conquests aren't good enough for you to read their posts

I made a bad shot on the 12yarder......but that had nothing to do with ranging.
If you say so You continually thank your muzzy heads for the not so good shot you put on your other buck, and spined the piebald........and that's not even counting any misses. Sounds like you may want to start toting that range finder along (unless its too bulky for you to carry)

Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

my pendulum sight works great even on the sloped hillsides i will hunt,would like one but dont want to spend the coins for something that i havent needed yet.lost job to mexico.
when i've missed its been all my fault, usually notanchoring properly.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like Rybo, I have never wounded a deer or missed one thus far in my hunting endavors. I haven't taken as many deer though (around 15) but until a couple years ago we were only allowed one deer tag per year.

I do not understand how this information (Rybos or mine)pertains to why one should or should not carry a rangefinder though? Please explain.

I am pretty good at ranging distance (thanks to years of 3D shooting) butI still always take my rangefinder with me each trip out.

As Atlas and Bigj said I can't see a good reason to not take one with me.
You never answered my question GMMAT.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Although I hunted close to 50 times last year....I DO hunt small tracts. That being said....I still hunted the same tree only twice. I move around with my climber a LOT. Having said even that.....I KNOW I've ranged different trees in ALL the areas I hunt. I know how far 30 yds is in THESE areas.
I think you answeredyour original post in the above statement. You hunted 46 times and only went to the same tree twice. Thats 44 different sights.I'll assume you had at least two directions you could shoot at each sight and probably three or four at some others. That's a whole lot of trees, bushes, clumps of grass, dead logs, etc. to remember the distance to. I know I couldn't remember all of those at the beginning of next year, if you can my hats off to you.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye:

I do not understand how this information (Rybos or mine)pertains to why one should or should not carry a rangefinder though? Please explain.
If you'll go back and re-read my initial response to Rybo's post. It'll make sense to you (it's just a lot of extra writing...and that reply says whatI wanted to).

C-Woods:

i hunt in the same general areas a LOT. I might switch trees and move 20-30 yds....but I know the areas well. From my golf days....i could tell youevery shot I hit on every hole......the club.....thedistance....and the outcome. From my baseball days as a catcher....I could re-count every pitch to every batter....and what the outcome was. I don't have a problemremembering yardages in the areas I hunt afer I've ranged them, once. I just don't care to carry the rangefinder with me, anymore.I don't see the need.

If you guys who carry one already knew the yardages in your area(s).....would you still take one? That's ALL I've been saying.

And for the record.....I think EVERY, responsible deer hunter should either own one.....or have a GREAT IDEA (Rybo and others) of what their effective OR their CHOSEN kill range is. I've simply used mine enough in KNOWN areas.....that I don't feel the need, anymore. New areas = rangefinder in my pocket.

I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to take one....or that they're not a good tool to utilize. They are. Let me make that clear.

I honestly wrote the thread thinking some guys ranged ANIMALS with them prior to the shot. I just don't see the feasibility of this practice for MY applications. Knowing your distances in your hunting spots is CRUCIAL, though.

And......a 2" margin for error.....at 30 yds....I won't apologize for. I'd be proud to pull that off EVERY TIME.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to throw some fuel on the fire here, a quick true story.........[8D]

This year APAJaws put a marginal shot on a buck on opening day of New York's hunting season. The shot maybe clipped the back of the liver but really wasn't a great shot to be honest, the kind where you come back the next day to look for the deer.I was sitting about 75-100 yards away when this happened. The buck ended up running and bedding in front of me. It was a shot I would have never taken at an animal that wasn't wounded, hard quartering away shot in brush, alert, and a long ways away. The animal was wounded though, and I felt we owed it to that animal to make the best shot possible on him to put him down quickly and I knew I could make the shot if I had the time to collect myself and the right distance. I remember guessing the distance for 47-50 yards, after watching him there for about 15 minutes hoping his head would go down. I clicked him at 43 yards though with the range finder. Had I shot at him for my original guessed distance I would have completely missed and probably sent him running to god only knows where. Instead I pinwheeled him with a perfect heart shot and he only went 10 yards from there and dropped dead saving the animal a lot of suffering.

Just anotherperfect example of why I will always carry a rangefinder with me no matter what.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Rick:

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for, TOO. That is a WONDERFUL example....and something I hadn't thought of. I'll likely change my position on this subject for THAT reason alone. I appreciate it.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick:

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for, TOO. That is a WONDERFUL example....and something I hadn't thought of. I'll likely change my position on this subject for THAT reason alone. I appreciate it.

Glad it gave you another point of view. You already own the thing, it's cheap insurance and doesn't cost you anything to just keep it in the pack or pocket even if you don't use it under normal conditions. You never know when it might be handy.

That story is the situation that produced that rage broadhead heart shot picture that I have shared on the internet so many times over the last year.................
Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't read all the posts but please............I hope nobody posted that its unethical to NOT use a rangefinder.

Quick Reply: Why do you use a rangefinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.