Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What you wear.. Part deux >

What you wear.. Part deux

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What you wear.. Part deux

Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What you wear.. Part deux

After reading the post by LT..It got me curious. I agree with BigJ on many points and the rest of you on many points!

Does anyone else hunt after a full workday?? I mean yes, on a weekend or vacation, I shower with the no scent soap and follow as many precautions as I can. BUT most of the season I'm sneaking ina few hours (depending on time change sometimes much less) after work. If I drive home shower...blah..blah blah..drive to hunting spot, sneak in ..it would be dark by the time I got there!

Many days are spent with work-clothes on after a frantic drive, straight to my hunting spot..spray down with favorite scent killer.throw on a scent-lok suit(YES GULP>>SCENTLOK) rubber boots, scentlok face, glovesmask, spray down again and go hunt!

Now granted I usually hunt my "worktime" fringestands for these occassions and elect not to go to core areas. But I see deer..I have not seen my sightings change based on prep time. I see bucks I see does..I see turkey and coyotes..so maybe a lot of it is overkill?

I see so many guys say I NEVER go to the woods without..________ (insert all details here..)if I did that my season would be cut by 75%.

That's hunting in the real world for the working man!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What you wear.. Part deux

I think you're smart not going into core areas......and I agree that there ARE times when going through ALL the measures might make hunting that day impossible.

MY situation is unique (I walk to all of my hunting spots).....but that being said.....I DIDN'T shower ONCE (showered every toher time) all last season, before hunting.....in 46 sits. I think it's important enough, to ME....that I forego hunting sometimes if I can't get "clean".

I also hear of guys not showering and even smoking in their stands......and they kill deer, too.

Crap-shoot.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt after work

Well I just spray down before I go out then get dressed. I keep all my hunting cloths on site. I am lucky to do so. When I hunt these days I am in observation stand.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of my hunting is after work. I usually use those days to scout a new area out or go to a place that I have been wanting to try out but have not had a chance to. I only hunt my stand on weekends in the morning. That being said I did not shoot my deer from my stand this last year. It was in one of those areas I moved to and hunted two different times. I did not shower either after work as it would not leave enough time to get set before the deer came out.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt almost predominately during the work week after work. During early archery season, I am afforded plenty of time after work to go through a thorough cleansing routine before any bowhunt. Once Daylight Savings Time kicks in things change. By November daylight starts to dwindle by 4:30 pm. I get off of work at 2:30. I usually hunt close to home so I can still squeak in a quick shower. I leave my clothing on my open porch and scent lok in an air tight container.I can shower, spray down, dress outside of my home and be in stand within 30 minutes. Granted the shortsitstands; I save for limitedtime...are allwithin walking distance or a short quad ride of my home. I realizemany huntersdon't have that luxury.

Mostold bucks in my area (outside of the rut)don't move from their beds until lowlight sets in. You're forced to hunt close to their beds in order to catch them on their feet during legal shooting light.I'd rather take the time to be clean even if that meansI lose 30 minutes on a 1 to 2 hour sit versus"hurrying up just to wait on a buck that has his own agenda." He's not going to move any earlier than he wants too. jm2c
Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shed33

I hunt almost predominately during the work week after work. During early archery season, I am afforded plenty of time after work to go through a thorough cleansing routine before any bowhunt. Once Daylight Savings Time kicks in things change. By November daylight starts to dwindle by 4:30 pm. I get off of work at 2:30. I usually hunt close to home so I can still squeak in a quick shower. I leave my clothing on my open porch and scent lok in an air tight container.I can shower, spray down, dress outside of my home and be in stand within 30 minutes. Granted the shortsitstands; I save for limitedtime...are allwithin walking distance or a short quad ride of my home. I realizemany huntersdon't have that luxury.

Mostold bucks in my area (outside of the rut)don't move from their beds until lowlight sets in. You're forced to hunt close to their beds in order to catch them on their feet during legal shooting light.I'd rather take the time to be clean even if that meansI lose 30 minutes on a 2 hour sit versus"hurrying up just to wait on a buck that has his own agenda." He's not going to move any earlier than he wants too. jm2c
Shed33, I'm not trying to be argumentative,,Honestly, I'm just trying to understand. What smell are you washing off and spraying over that is more offensive than the Quad Smell? Exhaust..spilled gas residue on seat, oil etc... See my point?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8,
I never gave that much consideration, but it definitely deserves a close look. Where I hunt in Missouri, I have about 1 1/2 to 2 miles of trails to get to where we hunt. I have to ride a quad in. I just got a new one, and I plan to take pains to keep it clean and de-scent it as much as possible. I know it's not possible to eliminate all the smell, but if I ever spilled gas or oil on it during hunting season, I'd be scrubbing it down and giving it the same treatment I'd give myself. Maybe I should take the advice of some of the others and have my hunting garb in a sealed pack and put it on when I get to the stand.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

How 'bou, (in LittleChiefs case) although there still has to be contamination from the ride in (exhaust fumes) would it help to: tote hunting outfitin sealed up, park quad 1/4 mile (minimum) from stand, strip down/spray down/camo on (in that order) and then walk in. I'd suggest longer walk but don't know the whole situation, maybe quad would'nt be there upon return?? Could this possibly help the scent dilema?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what I was considering doing. I always park at least 1/4 mile away anyway. And I always take the key.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Shed33, I'm not trying to be argumentative,,Honestly, I'm just trying to understand. What smell are you washing off and spraying over that is more offensive than the Quad Smell? Exhaust..spilled gas residue on seat, oil etc... See my point?
Sure, no problem. Good question, I should have elaborated on the quad issue. Anytime I ride my quad or take any vehicle to hunt whitetails I pack my Scent lok liner and outer clothing in an air tight tub instead of dressing. I wear sweats on thequad or in the vehicle. Once I get stopped and parked for the hike in, I get upwind of my machine thenundress, spray down againand then dress with my s-lok and clean hunting clothes from undies and sock to head cover.. Takes about 3 minutes. I've been doing it the same for about 10 years...its not much work.

I keep my machines and pickup very clean during whitetail season, sprayed down, pressure washed constantly you name it.. also.. I use a silencer on my quad now..even though I park a good 1/2mile to milefrom many of my stands..

Quick Reply: What you wear.. Part deux

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.