Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "growl"

Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The "growl"

wis_bow_huntr

Nice buck again.

Yes the Growl work for you here, but for me I just do not trust any call or scents.

I thinkwe all can come up with events wherethey all worked atleast once. Grunt call, Can, scents, rattling or thethe growl. To shootmature bucks on a consistants bases I just choose not to use these tools. In reality I stink at using them.

They for sure will call in younger bucks at will
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

MY approach is this......the lessnoise I make, while hunting, the less likely I am to tip off the animals I'm hunting as to my location.
And germ said.....

Yes the Growl work for you here, but for me I just do not trust any call or scents.
We must have "studied" under the same "teacher", Germ

Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM

My buddy had a buck with a doe under the hill behind him. He used the "can" call and the buck did the "growl" for about 30 seconds and then came in. The buck grossed about 165' and weighed in at about 240lbs. Both calls work but only at the right time and only if you have a good buck to doe ratio.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I can ONLY speak to what I hear the deer in MY area doing.

That being said.....I've never heard a deer re-ceate the sounds the can makes, either (though I'm not saying they don't make them).

MY approach is this......the lessnoise I make, while hunting, the less likely I am to tip off the animals I'm hunting as to my location.

It's working, so far.
Whathe said. I tried using the growl and had bucks actually go the other way, maybe they were sceered. I preffer to let my standlocation choice based on scouting researchand nature take its course.