Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season - Low temps question >

Late season - Low temps question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season - Low temps question

Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Late season - Low temps question

I planted my food plot, last Sunday. The temps here are supposed to dip into the high 20's, tonight and possibly tomorrow night.

1 - What's this going to do to my seed? What if it hasn't germinated, yet?

2 - What "might" this do to our acorn crop? People around our state have been claiming DISMAL crops of late.....but our, last year, was STELLAR!

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late season - Low temps question

This would depend on your region. in many areas its a little too early to be plating food plots or any other fields at this point. Your crop may suffer from frost shock, this occours if you plant too early before the frost is completely out of the ground.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you located? I'm sure you'll be okay unless you're way up north. Even if the seeds have germinated, they'll still be underground and protected from the frost. The cooler weather will slow down the growth rate, so it'll take longer. That's why I said 2 - 3 weeks in the last thread.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm in NW North Carolina.

I would "think" that the ground has them protected (and especially so....since they likely haven't germinated).

I don't know, though. Will this just make it sprout, later? It shoudn't KILL anything, should it?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should be fine. I have had the same thing happen and didn't see a noticeable decline in germination. If your plots come up looking a little thin just seed over again in thin areas, I've had to do this often on first time plots (I'mto the point now that almost all of myfirst time plots I double seed, depending on what I'm planting). Follow fertilizing instructions and hope for plenty of sun and rain, you should be sitting pretty. That plot pic you posted looks sweet and it is a nice size too, we planted one a couple seasons back not quite that size with Biologic and then found a real durable corn to plant with it. We put a few rows of corn in the corners and along the wood line and the turkey (and deer) went crazy over the combo.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

North Carolina? You'll be okay.For any kill to happen, the seeds would have to be sprouted and you'd have to have an actual ground freeze to kill them since they're still covered. Your only worry would be if the seedlings had emerged and a frost hit. I'm trying to figure out how to protect my grape vines from this cold snap that coming. Looks like I'll be building an emergency greenhouse.[:@]
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, SO MUCH, guys. My neighbor has done a LOT of work on my behalf.....and I planted those 2.5 acres by hand, last Sunday (hungover a bit, too.....lol).

I'll post progress pics.....as it......PROGRESSES!