Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How close can you call in a turkey? >

How close can you call in a turkey?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How close can you call in a turkey?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How close can you call in a turkey?

I have had hens step on my legs.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had hens step on my legs.
TeeJay.....

If they could smell......we'd NEVER kill 'em.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive had birds LITERALLY brush my pant legs. that aint not BS either. i hada longbeard strutting at 40yds..i was just enjoying the show waiting for the shot. a jake came RUNNING directly at me. he knew exzactly where the calls came from. we stared into eachothers eyes for over a minute. i knew i couldnt even BLINK. tears rolled down my face...he walked all around the tree about tripping over my legs no joke...never got a shot at the longbeard...

turkey hunting takes some expirience IMO. you can learn all you can..itll help...but wont make you a turkey hunter. it takes expirience to learn...its a big learning process...i been at it near 10 years and am far from an expert. every day is a new bird and a new learning expirience...good luck
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Turkeys are excellent audible locators, so they can usually pinpoint the origin of a sound, and if they're looking for you, chances are that they'll be able to pin you down with a small margin of error.
Ben Lee used to say, "If you dig a hole and get down in it and call a turkey, he'll come in and look down the hole". They are awfully good at pin pointing a call. I've had them coming and shut up since they were coming hard and fast. A lot of birds will just shut up that last 100 yards or so. They always appear right there in you lap and you haven't called for sometime, yet they know where to go.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM

The closest I've shot one was with my bow and I'm not sure that the arrow was off the string when the broadhead made contact with his head (about 1 yard as he came out from behing the oak tree I was using for cover.)
Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM

Quicksilver, I think the video that your talking about was a segment from the old TV show "real people". and if I'm not mistaken, the "guy" was none other than Ben Lee himself. Sharps
Old 04-07-2007, 05:02 AM

IADeerHunter16, I'm assuming that your from Iowa according to your name. If so your friend is wrong about the tag. You can buy an archery only tag that is good for all 4 seasons or you can get an archery/gun tag that is only good for the specific season that you want to hunt. If you go to the Iowa dnr web page you can find all the information you need on season dates and bag limits.