Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Close call!!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Close call!!

This afternoon I was making my turkey hotline calls and when I got ahold of my buddy Greg he stopped me short by saying "I had a life and death experience this morning". Greg hunts a 3000 acre cattle ranch near Immokalee, Fla. and he's always good for a dead turkey story opening wk. end. The kids were out of school today so he was taking his 10 yr. old son with him. As they headed for their blind they heard a noise in front of them on the farm rd. they were walking on. Greg shined the light ahead and it turned out to be a cow. No big deal. Greg told the cow to move on but it just stood it's ground. His son picked up a stick and threw it but the cow just stood there. Greg thought, hmmm better skirt around this thing, so they backed up and did just that. When they got about 30 yds. past it they stopped at a 3 ft. diameter cypress and shined their light back just to see if it was still standing in the rd. It was. Greg decided they had better be careful so he decided to move on to the next tree in front of them and he shined his light on it and turned to tell his son the plan. As he whispered to his son he heard the cow running and when he turned to look at it it was on an all out charge and closing ground quick. He knew he could just duck behind the tree and the cow would just pass along side of it. No doing. The cow hooked around the tree and as Greg and his son scurried around his son tripped. Greg is a very experienced hunter and he's made several trips to Africa and he's killed a lot of dangerous stuff. He told me that "thing" had the look of death in it's eye. He went into survival mode and can't remember jacking the gun, flipping off the safety or pulling the trigger.He's sure the bbl was touching it's head when he shot it. The cow hit him in the knees as it crashed to the ground and knocked him on top of his son.They scurried up and ran back to the truck. Hunting was over for today. Greg was still shook up when I talked to him at 4 this afternoon. He was doing a lot of what if'ing. A close call for sure. To add insult to injury the rancher has fined him 1000.00 bucks for killing the cow. I keep saying cow but to be honest Greg isn't sure if it's a cow or a bull. He's going back tomorrowto retreive his son's headlight and check things out. On a happy note. His son shot a 10" bird with 1"spurs on Sat.

Dan
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Close call!!

The same thing happened to a feller I know except it was the whole herd. He made it to the fence and got over it just in time. The hunting was over that morning too. Turns out the cattle thought they were going to get fed and had no intentions of making a dent in anyone.

If I had been in the same situation as your friend, I would have pulled the trigger too!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh God, don't let my sister see this thread, she'll never hunt again.....she is petrified of cows...they've chased us before but nothing like this.
I'm glad they were ok...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I hate cows.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear they're ok, Dan.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

I second the notion of hating cows. When I just started out hunting deer my grandfather had a bout 25 head of cattle with a red angus bull as their leader. Well I was making my way across the pasture and seen the herd of cows running my way with the red angus in front. He was on a dead run from about 200 yards away. The other cows eventually stopped running but that bull kept coming. He got to 10 yards away and slammed on the breaks. My rifle was up by this time and I finally got him to turn around but sure enough they turned around and headed right to my stand where they stood around the entire time. That same bull tried running behind my older brother heading to his stand and bucking at him. He was a mean SOB. Never liked walking through cattle after that.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan did you get my last PM?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt on our cattle farm here in wisconsin. we have 250 cows and last year my cousin was hunting in one of our pastures and we told him not to go in the one with the bull. hes not the brightest bulb so he jumps the fence into the pasture with the bull and got charged and knocked over and he got his leg stepped on. luckly my dad was outside feeding the dogs when it happened and went over and got my cousin out. them bulls can be really mean and nasty. im glad to see your friend and his son are okay
Old 03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like one too many kids have been cow tipping on that ranch.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

If he has to pay the $1000.00, he better get the beef!!

Quick Reply: Close call!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.