Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter? >

Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

The defining difference is the choice of weapon used; one being a bow and the other a gun. One shoots arrows and the other bullets. If anybody needs pics I will be glad to post if anybody needs a visual to be able to tell the difference.
I need pics
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know honestly, I might be a little nervous trying to shoot a deer at 300 yards because it has been so long sinceI have attempted that shot.I do get more out of watching the deer an hearing himbreath an hearing him up that close walking an etc. One of the biggest things to me is me being there in the some place with him anhe has no idea that I am there, just 25 feet above him.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

You made a few assumptions that are not necessarily true. Take my next to oldest brother. He hunts every day of every season... with a GUN only. He slithers through the thickest nastiest stuff in the world in his persuit of whitetails. Places most bow hunters wouldn't go. The difference is really nothing more than weapon of choice and method of hunting. A gun hunter can take liberties a bowhunter can't. It doesn't mean his method is any less efficient or sporting to him. We bowhunters do what we have to to be successful... so do gun hunters. Just like with bowhunters, some gun hunters are better than others. I know bow hunters that aren't worth a flip when it come to killing. They're great walkers and talkers but they still have fun. There are gun hunters that do exactly the same thing. I prefer to think of us all as "hunters" who choose different weapons. Don't think you're necessarily a better hunter because you do it with a bow.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You made a few assumptions that are not necessarily true. Take my next to oldest brother. He hunts every day of every season... with a GUN only. He slithers through the thickest nastiest stuff in the world in his persuit of whitetails. Places most bow hunters wouldn't go. The difference is really nothing more than weapon of choice and method of hunting. A gun hunter can take liberties a bowhunter can't. It doesn't mean his method is any less efficient or sporting to him. We bowhunters do what we have to to be successful... so do gun hunters. Just like with bowhunters, some gun hunters are better than others. I know bow hunters that aren't worth a flip when it come to killing. They're great walkers and talkers but they still have fun. There are gun hunters that do exactly the same thing. I prefer to think of us all as "hunters" who choose different weapons. Don't think you're necessarily a better hunter because you do it with a bow.
David ... Bingo!!!!! Sums my thoughts up perfectly ... and then some
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

I gun hunted from the age of 10 until 1995 (age 23 at the time ) and loved it...however, since then I have bowhunted only.... I simply love the challenge of hunting mature bucks with a bow.... I think its because I can hunt the rut and the woods are practically empty.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 AM

There is no difference in my opinion. We are all hunters and need to
stick together. I hunt with bow, muzzleloader and rifle. I just love
to hunt and be out there.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

The defining difference is the choice of weapon used; one being a bow and the other a gun. One shoots arrows and the other bullets. If anybody needs pics I will be glad to post if anybody needs a visual to be able to tell the difference.
PERFECT!!! Well played sir... well played.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greenboy

it takes a real man with true grit too kill deer at 40 yards and less.
You might want to rethink that. My daughter, who is 16, a little less than four foot eight, and about 73 pounds, got her first deer day after Christmas with a 28 lb bow from about 15 yards. (No minimum draw weight in Michigan, fortunately.) How's that for manliness?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I'll drink to that. No way I could say it any better.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 AM

Was a gun-nut for years, decades. I still love firearms, but now bowhunt almost exclusively. I cant explain it, but I feel archery brings me closer to the animals, a more natural, pure experience. I have to be committed and at the top of my game.

Rifle hunting just doesnt take me there anymore.A great place to start, though. All goes back to the "why" we hunt, which always differsfrom hunter to hunter.

Quick Reply: Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.