HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/186823-whats-defining-difference-between-bow-hunter-gun-hunter.html)

AR Bowhunter 04-02-2007 05:00 PM

Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

I have heard that the differences between bow hunters an gun huntersare like night an day. The thinking of eachis total opposite ofthe other, suchas the bow hunters think more in detail, hunt thicker cover etc. Whatare your opinionson this topic. I am an have been a avid bow hunter for 12 years. I am not asking aboutwhich is better just looking for interesting view points.

BuckRogers 04-02-2007 05:07 PM

RE: Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

I too am interested in the answers to this question because soon I will become both of them.

Germ 04-02-2007 05:17 PM

One goes Twang

The other goes boom

Maybe one day we will stop looking for our differences, and focus what we have in common

The love of being in the woods:)and hunting whitetails for me!!!

mauser06 04-02-2007 05:21 PM

that statment is not true of ALL gun hunters and ALL bowhunters. I hunted with a bow the first time last year, but hunted with a rifle for 8 years prior.

i did not change. just my weapon did. i have killed most of my deer with my rifle within my own bow range. some of my best rifle spots were in thicker cover than anyone could weave an arrow through. and some of my best bow hunting spots have been fairly open areas on ridges.

funny thing... i bowhunted 1 area alot all season. come the first day of rifle season i was in the same spot...with a gun in my hand.

im not like ALL gunhunters though. ive always hunted thick areas and scouted my butt off and played the wind etc etc. to me, the transition between gun and bow hunting is the weapon in my hand..i cant stand getting lumped together with spray and pray gun hunters...or the snipers that shoot deer 500 yards away etc etc.

i also hunt with a flintlock rifle. i really enjoy that. im not sure what i enjoy more, flintlock or bow hunting. rifle hunting sorta lost is spark with me. too many guys in the woods, and shooting a deer at 20yds with a 3006 didnt get my heart pumping like it once did. it became a filled freezer. i enjoy rifle hunting still. but like flintlock and bowhunting more. diffrent seasons, diffrent atmosphere, more of a challenge etc etc...

solocamcan 04-02-2007 05:34 PM

I have hunted with both for years.I love them both, while they are both different in thier own right. Gun hunting is more "relaxed", knowing that you just added 60+ yards in your weapon.But I don't see it as a bowhunter vs. gunhunter thing. I have seen people gun hunting and that'sALL they do, and by the way the act and hunt, have NO business carrying a sling shot in the woods let alone a firearm.

AR Bowhunter 04-02-2007 05:37 PM

I for one, have a lot of fellow hunters that hunt what we call the highline which is the powerline.They go to it each season waiting on a deer to come across so they can get a shot. I can not stand to go climb up in a box stand an wait for a deer to come bythe stand.Them on the other handdo not see how I can sit on a climbing stand an wait for a deer to come into that little30 yard circle so I can get a shot.We enjoy the outdoors an hunting whitetails, butthereare differences inthe ways we hunt whitetail when it comes to weapons, that is what I am looking for here.

_Dan 04-02-2007 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

One goes Twang

The other goes boom

Maybe one day we will stop looking for our differences, and focus what we have in common

The love of being in the woods:)and hunting whitetails for me!!!

And thats gospel.

hardcorehunter 04-02-2007 05:44 PM

The defining difference is the choice of weapon used; one being a bow and the other a gun. One shoots arrows and the other bullets. If anybody needs pics I will be glad to post if anybody needs a visual to be able to tell the difference.

greenboy 04-02-2007 05:46 PM

The only thing alike between the two is the end product meat in the freezer in my younger days i only gun hunted now i only bowhunt any guy can pick off deer at 100 to 300 yrds but it takes a real man with true grit too kill deer at 40 yards and less. We as bowhunters when we kill our prey we are so close that we can see the whites of their eyes or the fog from their breath gunhunters canonly see a target at 200yrds plus i think we pay much more attention to details and the quality of the hunt not so much the results but thats just my 2 cents:eek:

solocamcan 04-02-2007 05:50 PM

I also think gun hunters using a 12ga with deer slugs get wrongly lumped in with guy's usinga7mm Mag with a 10 shot clip.