Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Different view points of the STS >

Different view points of the STS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Different view points of the STS

Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Different view points of the STS

The other night I took the trip to shoot at Gander Mtn. When I get there, I find thatmy Hunting/Bowhunting Education course instructor was there shooting. After reintroducing myself, we got to talking about the STS I had on my bow. He said he didn't like them because the string is suppose to oscilate. Another point he made which I actually agreed on is that, even though the STS is stopping the botton half of the string, the top will still oscilate, and the action is multiplied because of the extra weight(peep, kisser, string silencer). What do you guys think? Does this seem true? It just got me thinking. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, he's pretty big into 3D inmy area(and he has a bowtech).I'm going to keep the STS on becauseI feel it works. Whats your guys opinion on his view?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Different view points of the STS

I would say the top half of the string would oscilate more than the bottom with a sts attached, but as a whole the string wouldnt oscilate near as much. In my experience any damage caused to a bow usually is caused from shock or vibration. Like limb damage andsuch. The sts helps eliminate that problem, if it is a problem.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM

I don't think that the top half of your string will oscillate any more than it would without the STS installed.

Look at your string as a wave. If you were to put something to interrupt that wave halfway down, it would cease to be a wave after that point, right? It isn't sending those waves in any greater amount up the string, just stopping the wave from continuing down the string past the STS. The oscillation being sent down the string towards the STS isn't going to bounce off the STS and go back up. The STS is going to do what it was intended to, slow down and stop the oscillation from occuring at and beyond that point.

On top of that, it causes your arrow to leave the string at the same point every time. Nothing bad about that.

I could be talking out my butt here, so feel free to correct me.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats not the case. Just shoot your bow with the STS and then move it off to the side and shoot again. You can litterally feel the string vibrate when you remove the STS. And you can definately hear it. I ran this test yesterday on a Black Ice, and I was definately impressed with what an STS can do for sound suppression and shock reduction.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:33 AM

The STS system(meanV in my case) definately make a difference.
It could be argued that to do a more effective job, one should be added to the top part of the bow. That's probably true, however, it does make a noticeable differencein string oscillation. It won't remove it all,nothing could.

After putting one on my bow , I will add one to every bow from this point on.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still deciding if I want to go with an STS. My bow is almost soundless anyway but one would probably take away what little noise there is. My biggest concern right now is in wondering if the STS would cause my string to wear faster than what would be acceptable to me.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 AM

Just go to the STS website and look for yourself. They have high speed vids of bows both with the STS and without it. I was actually considering getting one until I watched the videos. Just too violent of a reaction for me. I would rather let the string go forward on it's own and oscillate.

I don't have any of the problems that the STS is supposed to fix, so I don't see the point in getting one. I use yarn puff balls for string silencers and my bow is whisper quiet, even indoors.

Paul
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you post the link to that video, I can't find it on their website.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 AM

Ya, I just looked at their site and didn't see it anymore. They must have updated the site and took them off. Sort of sucks. I will do some searching and see if I can find them. My guess would be someone at AT would have them or know where to find them but I don't go there anymore.

I have linked to them on here before, I will look and see if I can find the thread and see if it still works. I tried a simple yahoo search and didn't come up with much. Mostly NASA stuff?

Pretty amazing videos if I can find them.

Paul
Old 04-01-2007, 07:03 AM

My bad, it was on the Windstalker site. I was thinking about getting one of these as well. Still sort of thinking about actually.

Here is the link

Windstalker/STS videos

Have fun.

Paul

Quick Reply: Different view points of the STS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.