Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is... >

Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is...

Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is...

It might be a little light, but you could still get by, you just would need smaller implements....(5' disk, 2 bottom plow)

How much ground do you have?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

TexasOaks, the higher horsepower/fancier tractors can be nice to have sometimes, but they do tend to be more costly than smaller models. I have a Massey Ferguson 235 (41 pto hp) that I got new in 1976 and it has been a real workhorse. My neighbor has a similar but somewhat older MF 135 (37 hp).

Both of these machines have been very reliable and have seen a huge variety of service. The work they have done using a front end loader includes digging ponds,carrying rocks, plowing snow, packing round hay bales, lifting cows for butchering, and pushing in fence posts. General duty includes rotivating (48-inch), plowing (2-bottom), harrowing, seeding, cutting hay (9-foot swather), baling (square and round bales), and logging.

My opinion is that this size of tractor can pretty much do it all on a farm of a few hundred acres while the bigger ones kick in if you're farming a number of sections. As you mention, John Deere is also reputable but I know one local who has had some problems with his Kubota (maybe just bad luck). I hope this is of some help to you.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate helping out a fellow hunter in need. Thank you
Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

From a guy who grew up on a farm.........how often you will be using it and for the reasons you mention........you won't need the extra cost of 4WD unless you plan on being in wet ground. Though we had a small farm compared to most of today's farms, we never needed a 4WD. At least for farming purposes if it was that wet, we had no business being out. Of course the type of soil and location will help dictate that.

JD, Case International, Kubota, Ford, any of them should fill your needs.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pigiron

It might be a little light, but you could still get by, you just would need smaller implements....(5' disk, 2 bottom plow)

How much ground do you have?
What does how much ground do you have mean? Acres?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with most of this thread, but have to take issue with building a pond with a 60 hp (or less)tractor. How big of pond are you building and how much time do you have to dig it?

I've done tons of work (disc, plow, mow hay, bale hay, plow snow, etc)with an International Harvester 560 but don't think I would tackle building a pond with it. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, how many acres do you have.

I live on a28 acre blueberry farm. I have 10 aditional acres that I plant food plots on, and another 8 acres of lawn and pasture that I maintain. All of the work is done with two 5525 John Deere tractors. One is a compact version for the berry rows(disk, spray, etc.) The other is full size, air conditioned cab, 91horse. It pulls a 15' bushhog, and is great for disking and plowing that 10 acre piece.

I know I wouldn't be able to be very efficient with a smaller series tractor. As far as digging ponds, I can relate to the previous poster. It depends how large it is. The backhoe attachment on the 5203 is tiny. There really only good for digging small holes. Anything sizeable would require a trac-hoe, and a couple of tri-axles to move the soil away.

Previously when you mentioned digging ponds, I thought you meant landscape type ponds(15'by 30'), with some rocks and boulders around them. If this is what you meant, than a small series tractor 50 hp w/ a backhoe and loader attachment would be sufficient.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texas...What's going to "stump" you is the pond...If you are talking 10-12 food plots of about an acre apiece, a good 40-60 hp tractor or so will do all you need to do...You mentioned digging "ponds"...Is this one 1/2 acre pond or 2-3 10-12 acre ponds??? You might come out better finding someone with the proper equipment to dig the pond, than buying a tractor too big for your food plots or too small to be very efficient digging a pond...Most tractors are designed for tilling, planting, spraying etc...Adding a backhoe or a loader does not make them a backhoe/loader...It just lets you do a little light work with them....The frame is made differently and the stress put upon it are different for different applications....

Most of the ponds I see made around here are done with a bulldozer and pan.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys... I am defineately getting a more of an idea of what to do. We have around 200 acres btw.