HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Canuck_2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Please I Need Some Help! Tractor Help that is...

TexasOaks, the higher horsepower/fancier tractors can be nice to have sometimes, but they do tend to be more costly than smaller models. I have a Massey Ferguson 235 (41 pto hp) that I got new in 1976 and it has been a real workhorse. My neighbor has a similar but somewhat older MF 135 (37 hp).

Both of these machines have been very reliable and have seen a huge variety of service. The work they have done using a front end loader includes digging ponds,carrying rocks, plowing snow, packing round hay bales, lifting cows for butchering, and pushing in fence posts. General duty includes rotivating (48-inch), plowing (2-bottom), harrowing, seeding, cutting hay (9-foot swather), baling (square and round bales), and logging.

My opinion is that this size of tractor can pretty much do it all on a farm of a few hundred acres while the bigger ones kick in if you're farming a number of sections. As you mention, John Deere is also reputable but I know one local who has had some problems with his Kubota (maybe just bad luck). I hope this is of some help to you.