Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What broadhead for turkeys? >

What broadhead for turkeys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broadhead for turkeys?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What broadhead for turkeys?

Just curious what you guys are using this year for heads. I am getting my bengal geared up for birds and want to decide on a broadhead very soon. I am thinking my GT 75/95's with a 100 grain 2x blade Rage on the front of it. I have quite a few of these rages left from last year that only need resharpening. The heads seem to have good mojo on them so far . I think I will be putting some rocket rubber bands over the front of the Rages though to fix the occasional opening they may do if you bump the head on something before shooting. We did this at the shop a few weeks ago and it seemed to workwell.

My turkey setup as of now is as follows:

07' 68lb 30" Martin Bengal
CJ Deadnuts 2comp 4 pinSight
Biscuit
7" doinker hunter
GT 75/95's - Blazers and wraps
Rage 2x blade 100's

God I can't wait to sit in theblind this spring........

Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What broadhead for turkeys?

I'm gonna shoot NAP Spitfires. I've got a bunch left over from an early decision (that was later changed) to use them on whitetails. I'll see what happens, this year. With MY setup......I think they'll do the trick.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I will be using the same broadheads i use for deer. Muzzy Phantoms.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Just curious what you guys are using this year for heads. I am getting my bengal geared up for birds and want to decide on a broadhead very soon. I am thinking my GT 75/95's with a 100 grain 2x blade Rage on the front of it. I have quite a few of these rages left from last year that only need resharpening. The heads seem to have good mojo on them so far . I think I will be putting some rocket rubber bands over the front of the Rages though to fix the occasional opening they may do if you bump the head on something before shooting. We did this at the shop a few weeks ago and it seemed to workwell.

My turkey setup as of now is as follows:

07' 68lb 30" Martin Bengal
CJ Deadnuts 2comp 4 pinSight
Biscuit
7" doinker hunter
GT 75/95's - Blazers and wraps
Rage 2x blade 100's

God I can't wait to sit in theblind this spring........
First of all Matt, you got to ditch the Martin...the turkeys will just be laughing at you for holding that piece of.........
Next, get a real arrow, like a CX.[8D]

Seriously though, I use the Gobbler Getters after a trip or two through my Morrel target. It dulls the blade just a hair, increasing the amount of energy which is transferred from the arrow to the bird. You might want to just dull the edge just a bit to avoid a pass through and to make that arrow stick into that bird.
Want to come to Delaware County for a spot of bird hunting?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I am soon to be using them Gobbler Guillotines. My friend shoots them and i like how they fly but the bad thing is that you have to have longer arrows. I'm gettin a new set of Gold Tips within the month so i'll get 1/2 dozen regular cut arrows for deer and 1/2 dozen longer cut arrows for turkey! If i get one this year with a Guillotine, i'll try to get it on video!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the NAP Gobblergetters for several yrs now. They work great. They're basically a Nap Spitfire with a blunt tip, and little longer blades. The thing some don't seem to realize is a turkey can sometimes fly off after a pass thru hit. This can obviously be a problem on finding the bird. The Gobblergetters are designed to slow penetration, and keep the arrow in the bird. This prevents fly-off. They've worked to perfection for me thus far.
I'm not really a fan of the Gullotines. Something just bothers me with the concept of shooting a arrowat a turkeys head to cut him, and possibly take his head off. Archerys never been about shooting at the head, its always been about hitting the vital area. Plus the length of the blades could be illegal in some states. But thats just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytteen

I am soon to be using them Gobbler Guillotines. My friend shoots them and i like how they fly but the bad thing is that you have to have longer arrows. I'm gettin a new set of Gold Tips within the month so i'll get 1/2 dozen regular cut arrows for deer and 1/2 dozen longer cut arrows for turkey! If i get one this year with a Guillotine, i'll try to get it on video!

this is just me but i would just get like 3 arrows longer, i wouldnt do a whole dozen. Just my opinion