Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Zen Antler Mounts (Pic maybe, maybe not) >

Zen Antler Mounts (Pic maybe, maybe not)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Zen Antler Mounts (Pic maybe, maybe not)

Old 01-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Zen Antler Mounts (Pic maybe, maybe not)

vc, I actually glue the batting and the felt to the back side of the plywood. I glue a spot about an inch or so long and then cut the excess off all the way around. I start at the bucks left side. I will cut a small circle out of the material, about the size of the pedical, then make a cut to the outside of the material. I make sure the seam is going to be hidden by the antler. If the antlers have a good burr at the base I will tuck the material up under it so none of the batting is visible. On racks that have a very small burr, or none at all, I will use the braid. As for the plaster, I like the regular old plaster for repairing drywall. I have tried the plaster used for casting molds and crafts and didn't care for it. It shaped very easy, but took too long to dry.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hawkeye, sounds great. Do you have any pictures we could post?

Also how do you make the braid? Do you just cut 3 long thin strips of felt and simply braid them together, or do you do something else?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Spike

I wish I could post a pic, unforunately I am on a stupid WebTV, and don't know how. As for the braid, that is exactly how I do it. I cut 3 strips the same length, about 1/4 inch wide and just braid them together. I worked with a young man who worked part time for his uncle who is a taxidermist, he showed me how to make the braid. I have a friend who might be able to hook me up with posting a few pics if he will.