Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

GMMAT Silver Express.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey I LIKE IT!

I watched a guy in a movie, one time, stick a spoon into a guy's throat. How much KE would occur if that thing was traveling 300FPS?

I'm sorry this got off track. I DO see the benefits of COC heads. Yes. It's undeniable. It's also (again....MY opinion)........overrated (for MY setup). For others....they need to calculate their KE/FPS/etc...and decide for themselves. I just hate to see blanket statements thrown out there RE: EITHER type of broadhead.

Have a great weekend, guys.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

Isn't cutting on contact what a broadhead is suppose to do????? i have never understood those.
I see your thread got lost in the mix!!

Yes cut on contact start to cut the hide as soon as it hits it.

A chizel type head will "punch" through the hide until the blades start to cut.

I have killed deer with both types. Muzzy is a fine head, but I have been using Montecs the last 4 years and I love them. Be warned if you go with Montecs you will need to spend at least and hour on each head to get them really sharp.

I tested the G5 Striker and loved it. Cut on contact and just plain scary sharp!!!!! out of the box. Next season I will be using G5 Strikers. One thing nice about G5 is all their broadheads are spin tested. They all fly the same!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Good stuff, Germ. I sent Deep a PM apologizing for his thread getting off-track (and my involvement).

Have a good one, folks!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Good stuff, Germ. I sent Deep a PM apologizing for his thread getting off-track (and my involvement).

Have a good one, folks!
Imagine that. I answered his question 12 post ago.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I would rather have a chisel type of head to shatter bone some before the blades and the rest of the arrowgets there. Provides a more open path through a bone, like a shoulder blade, for the arrow to followthan a COC head will.

Having said that, if you are pulling low enough poundage then neither one will get far though a shoulder and the COC will give easier penetration through soft tissue between the rib cage.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Personally I would rather have a chisel type of head to shatter bone some before the blades and the rest of the arrowgets there. Provides a more open path through a bone, like a shoulder blade, for the arrow to followthan a COC head will.

Having said that, if you are pulling low enough poundage then neither one will get far though a shoulder and the COC will give easier penetration through soft tissue between the rib cage.
I'm with BB on this. I've seen several COC tips get damaged which effects the rest of the arrow all the way through.

For a COC head, you can'g go wrong with Magnus heads, or Montecs for that matter.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Some don't think there is a difference between a cut on contact head and a chisel point head. I know different from hyde test. Try the Strikers, I think you will really like them. Chris
No offense, Chris....but you "answered his question? with an opinion. it's an opinion not everyone agrees with. The rest is your attempt to belittle and bait.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't mind upping your grain weight, which would probably help your FOC, the Montec g5's have worked well for me, as well as the razorcaps. Both handled bone very well and in the cases where both ribs were shot through on a bull, the broadhead tips were in great shape.

If you are shooting very low poundage, I would look for a 2 bladed design without bleeder blades for the best penetration but then your blood trail may be a little weak due to a one direction wound channel.

Good luck!!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let's be honest.....

If my 125gr Muzzy .......is shot out of my 71# Bowtech Allegiance........

Do you think it's going to cut .....on contact?
Yes let's do be honest Jeff. The man asked for an opinion on coc broadheads and you responded with this. I suggested the G5strikers. Now whats your spin?

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.