Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent killers

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Default scent killers

Is there a difference between scent killer and dead down wind or any other scent killing products. I've used different ones over the years and was just wondering if anyone had a favorite and why?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent killers

Scent killer, I believe is baking soda/peroxide based. You can make it yourself. White lightning is the same I believe, Carbon blast is charcoal based and Dead down wind is vegetable enzyme based. I make my own. Redcipe is here somewhere on HNI
Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am confident in Dead Down Wind. i got some gasoline on my hand one day when i bought it. figured what the heck...lets put it to the test. well..my hand never smelled like ANYTHING after that. i was like YA RIGHT! let it dry...nope...nothing..no smell...that was amazing to me. tried it with white lightning and scent killer and they didnt do so well. both you could still smell the gas.

dead down wind is kinda pricey...but the 15 or so dollar bottle lasted me the season and i hunted ALOT. and sprayed myself and gear down every time.

white lightning left white chauly crap all over me and my gear. got sick of that in a hurry.

my favorite stand spot i had alot of encounters with deer REALLY dead down wind. none ever flinched or raised a tail. i had a big mature doe come in with fawns once from down wind. my stand was funny...only tree i could climb put me only slightly above the deer most of the time..busted right? wrong..the big mature doe fed to the VERY VERY base of my tree to the point she was directly under my feet. oh well i got to see some deer...they are going to bolt because i use a climber and walked around that tree 100000 times. WRONG. she never flinched. that evening i didnt pull up my bow rope for some reason..it was dangling at her head. she smelled it and jumped back. the one piece of gear i never sprayed with DDW. she went on alert..but i know if that rope was sprayed like everything else she would never moved.

another funny thing to mention...i wore leather/gortex boots all season. i always sprayed them down...youd think a mature doe would picked me up after crossing my trail 100 times and feeding where i walked within an hour or 2 prior....i have alot of faith in DDW..
Old 03-20-2007, 04:39 PM

I used Dead Down Wind exclusively last year, and will be again this year. Scent Killer works, Scent Away works.....Most of them work.....Maybe it's just in my head, but DDW seemed to blow them away.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought the big bottle of DDW e3......and it lasted me the entire season. 46 hunts.....and a BUNCH of equipment spraying. I used white lgihtning the previous season.....and didn't like the residue. DDW e3 has no residue.

I've got a little left from about 38 ounces.......but I'll be re-stocked before the season begins.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know i'll be trying DDW this season... been using HS Scents Scent Killer, and i think its only moderate.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a good link I got from another forum. I use a homemade scent killer similar to the recipe in the article. One time there was a skunk out behind the house. He heard me and the dogs so he let loose and then ran off. One of my dogs was off lead and he ran through some of the "skunk mist" and got a little skunky. I sprayed hime down with the scent killer and then wiped him off. No more skunk smell. worked great! Now, mind you, he didn't get a direct hit but he still smelled pretty skunky and the homemade scent killer got rid of the smell.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO dead down wind is the stuff to use. I love it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:42 AM

Looks like iI might have to buy some DDW!!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going hog hunting right after work today and won't have a chance to shower. I'll be bowhunting and hope to get within 20-30yds. Now, my camo has been washed and I'll be changing into it at the lease but after working all day I still have scent concerns. I'll be using DDW for the first time today. I picked some up after work Monday. When I got the bottle off the shelf it didn't have a price on it. When I got to the register I almost crapped my pants! They are proud of this stuff! It was the only brand in stock so I bit the bullet and got it rather than put it back on the shelf. I hope its worth it. I'll let you know what I think later although we have south winds today so I should have the wind in my face all the way to my stand and the whole time I'm in the stand. That is the best scent killer!

Quick Reply: scent killers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.