Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rubber boots and scent dispersal??? >

Rubber boots and scent dispersal???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots and scent dispersal???

Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Rubber boots and scent dispersal???

I know rubber boots are the way to go when it comes toplaying thescent game and have been turning something over in my little brain. Because of the properties of the actual rubber compound can they still become contaminated and if so how (similar togas/oil/other contaminates soaking into leather)? And again, because of the properties of rubber does it seem to anyone besides me that they should be just as easy to decontaminate if need be.Let me say before someone tells me not to wear them to work I know it's best to treat them just like all your other camo/gear when it comes to scent maintenance. This is just a what if question.
Also,how about some thoughts on using a cover scent while moving intoan area, again with rubber (on the boots).Because their rubber is a pad required? Hope to hear some opinions here, I love this forum.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots and scent dispersal???

I've been told that they're only good for a couple of seasons.......

So.....take into account how much you hunt......(as compared to the "average").....and make your own assessment. Also....I'd take into account how I stored them.

I'll be buying new boots after the 2007 season (my second full season in my Lacrosse boots).
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Rubber cracks with use, and those cracks can hold scent particles and disperse them, so your answer is yes. If you're using a scent reducing spray on the soles you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Buy them in the summer before season. Leave them outside (out of the sun and weather) to get the new smell out of them. Treat them like your clothes. Put them on when you get out of the truck and take them off before you get back in. I spray them with scent away and them spray them with buck urine as a cover. Early season I usually step through a pile of cow stuff. They are everywhere inKansas.1200g insulated allow you to wear a wicking thin sock and a normal hunting sock without worry of cold toes down to about 25 degrees.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

This doesn't really pertain to your question....but since we're talking about rubber boots: People please please please do not tuck your scent-lok/blocker pants INTO your boots. That is about the dumbest thing i've ever seen. If you're tucking your pants into your boots you're defeating the whole purpose. When you take a step the air from your boot is going to rush right out the top of your boots....dispersing your scent everywhere. If you wear your pants on the outside of your boots at least your pants have the chance to knock out the odor particles.....Sorry just had to vent...I hate it when people do that...it's one of my biggest pet peeves. haha.

Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Bowtech die hard

The reason I tuck my pants into my boots......is so my pants won't rub against all the foliage on the way to my stand. Now....I'm here to tell ya.....I've had a crafty old doe STILL stick her nose to the ground on my trail......right after I'd walked through a creek, too.

I'll take my chances on what little scent I leave in the AIR escaping the tops of my boots........vs. what my pants might leave on the grass/weeds/etc... if they're on the outside of my boots.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bowtech die hard

The reason I tuck my pants into my boots......is so my pants won't rub against all the foliage on the way to my stand. Now....I'm here to tell ya.....I've had a crafty old doe STILL stick her nose to the ground on my trail......right after I'd walked through a creek, too.

I'll take my chances on what little scent I leave in the AIR escaping the tops of my boots........vs. what my pants might leave on the grass/weeds/etc... if they're on the outside of my boots.
I understand where you're coming from but...If you've got scent on your pants....then why are you heading out at all. What I'm saying is that if you've got scent on the bottoms of your pants, then why wouldn't you have scent all over your hunting clothes? I respect what you do, that's cool, I guess like I said it's just a big pet peeve. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't spray your pants down as soon as you get in the field, and let you're scent-lok do the rest....just my opinion....not trying to start a war here. And I mean no disrespect.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree,pants untucked, sprayed down w/ scent reducing spray of your choice!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

I tuck, but I use scent containing socks.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Spike

Hey Tim, very good point! I just started wearing rubber boots last season and never thought of that..........thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Rubber boots and scent dispersal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.