Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fixed blade broadheads? >

fixed blade broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fixed blade broadheads?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fixed blade broadheads?

ORIGINAL: atlasman

The biggest problem I have with the Montecs is you have to resharpen the blades yourself and they are not SUPER sharp to begin with. This leads to 2 potential problems IMO........practicing little if at all with heads out of fear of dulling them.......and/or subpar sharpness after a home touch up (They are not the easiest head to sharpen) Other then that they seem to be a very good BH.

Magnus Stingers fly better then any fixed blade head I have tried, they are sharper then any head I have tried, and they have replaceable blades. They leave some pretty big holes as well.
Some good points Atlas. Montec's also comes as pratice heads, these are just for pratice. Shoot them all you want

Sharpness is a concearn whichMontec Address with its new sharpingprocess. They are a lot better!!!

Magnus Stingers are great head, I just hope youdo not hit a rib bone

Any head will do, shoot what you like.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germ,

My stinger went right thru a rib bone and split it down the center and nothing happened to it. I also put one thru my fence in the back yard and it split the fence in two and hit a concrete block and only dulled the tip. I have also put one thru the bottom of the spine of a deer. The bleeder blade did bust apart but that can be expected with that kind of a shot.

Atlasman,

I thought the same things about the stingers as you did. However I jsut tried the wacems which has a cut oncontact tip that has to be resharpened but it also comes with replaceable blades. The blades on these things were just as sharp as the stingers. Did I mention they were also even more accurate than my stingers (it could have just been me). I can shoot the stingers and Wacems from my bow and both will hit very close to each other.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

Germ,

My stinger went right thru a rib bone and split it down the center and nothing happened to it. I also put one thru my fence in the back yard and it split the fence in two and hit a concrete block and only dulled the tip. I have also put one thru the bottom of the spine of a deer. The bleeder blade did bust apart but that can be expected with that kind of a shot.

Atlasman,

I thought the same things about the stingers as you did. However I jsut tried the wacems which has a cut oncontact tip that has to be resharpened but it also comes with replaceable blades. The blades on these things were just as sharp as the stingers. Did I mention they were also even more accurate than my stingers (it could have just been me). I can shoot the stingers and Wacems from my bow and both will hit very close to each other.
Wheat have Atlas post a picture of his, it is intersting.

I agree it is a great head, but with anything there are sacrifies with any head. Montecs are tougher, stingers are sharper... etc etc
Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Montec's also comes as pratice heads, these are just for pratice. Shoot them all you want
Never really liked that idea..........I like to shoot the heads I am gonna hunt with.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 AM

I have never had an issue with them either until last year when this happened on the opposite side rib.........still found the deer but I was surpised that the head was so mangled.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is for the thread starter

G5 is one of the few broadhead company's that test(spin test) there broadheads before the ship them. So they all fly the same(Practice or Hunting).
This goes for the Striker also, I may use them this season, becasue they are sharper than Montecs.Montecs are tougher, but the sharpness issue is there.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

This is for the thread starter

Montecs are tougher, but the sharpness issues is there.
No doubt............my brother put a perfect shot on a deer last year and no pass through. It took us awhile to find him because the blood was almost nil.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas,

Stop shooting those deer that do the ABS of steel workout 3 times a day. That is pretty crazy that a rib did that.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 AM

Atlas,

Stop shooting those deer that do the ABS of steel workout 3 times a day. That is pretty crazy that a rib did that.

If that wasn't bad enough he bolted and snapped my arrow in half on a tree.........I found the tipped half about 1/3 of the way into the trail.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone for thier replys to my questions.

Quick Reply: fixed blade broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.