Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blood trail

Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM

Default blood trail

I'm new to bowhunting and just wondering if anyone can give me ideas. The question is, If or when I shoot a deer and I lose the blood trail how do I find it again? Is there a spray out there that can illuminate the blood so you can see it better? Any ideas would be welcome. Just bought my first bow and hopefully going to trying hunting this fall. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Default RE: blood trail

Hello and Welcome!

Well, from the place you loose the blood trail you can continue in a circle patern, expanding the radious few feet at the time depending on the terain. Other method is to follow a grid patern and search every square from the grid in systemathic way...sound complicated but is easy...or you can buy one of these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0015690224984a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=blood+trail&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=blood+trail&noImage=0

Also found this...intersting..

"Here is one way to find a faint blood trail when tracking a wounded deer. Pour about eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Add some yellow food coloring to it. Go to the last visible blood sign and lightly spray the surrounding area, grass, leaves, and bushes. The peroxide foams up when it contacts the smallest drop of blood The yellow food coloring makes it more visible."

good luck...

Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

There will be a thread posted late summer that has just about all the info you will need regarding a blood trail and what to do. Hang around here and learn. Always remember...when in doubt WAIT!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 AM

thanks guys!! will keep that in mind.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Another tip, when the trail starts to get faint always mark the trail with something! Hang a cap in a tree, stick an arrow in the ground, leave a glove coat etc. Once you wander off from a blood trail it can be very hard to find again and you may end up starting back at the beginning. This way you can always get back to the last area where you saw the blood.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good tips...I carry paper towels or tissues to mark each place that I find blood...Most properly hit deer with a bow go less than 100 yards...If you lose the trail these markers show you which direction the deer is going...You can use these to show you which direction to continue...To be honest, this is a last resort, most deer don't stop bleeding, we just want to follow too quickly, slow down, take your time, there is still a trail you just have to have the patience to find it....

This is another reason to be very selective in shot selection, don't shoot at any deer that is in range, wait for the proper angle and be positive that you can make a good shot, in doing so, you will know that you hit the deer properly and this gives you the confidence to keep looking until you find the deer...Good Luck
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take your dog! If you don't have a dog, either get one or borrow one. It doesn't have to be any certain breed, just healthy and has at least half a brain, no yap-yaps.
Take the dog to where you took the shot and show the dog some blood. The dog will be interested in blood, trust me on that. Then you tell the dog "find the blood Rover" or ask him "where is my deer Fiedoe". Every time the dog finds some blood, praise him/her like crazy and get the dog a treat. The dog now knows what it is supposed to do and will almost take you straight to the deer every time, even the first time. Take your time, be positive, praise the dog, you can't loose!
My dog is an Australian Cattle Dog or Red Heeler and I really don't know how any breed could have done it any better than him. Well unless the trail was old or whatever. But first time out, he took me straight to the deer, and most times dogs love having jobs.

I did this even when I knew where the deer was for the purpose of tracking a deer later. That way, if the dog is having trouble trusting it's nose you can assist, but the key is to praise the dog and let him/her be the one that finds it!

Good luck and I hope this helps,
KP
Old 03-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Wait for a fresh snow before you shoot 'em.

Honestly, keep an eye out for the thread this summer, you'll learn more than you can imagine from it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Wait for a fresh snow before you shoot 'em.

Honestly, keep an eye out for the thread this summer, you'll learn more than you can imagine from it.
Nice pic. Even I could follow that, but it doesn't snow much in NC. Could be a looooong wait.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 PM

I go with the circle pattern and markers. Or the dog.

Quick Reply: blood trail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.