HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blood trail
Thread: blood trail
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Killer_Primate
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: blood trail

Take your dog! If you don't have a dog, either get one or borrow one. It doesn't have to be any certain breed, just healthy and has at least half a brain, no yap-yaps.
Take the dog to where you took the shot and show the dog some blood. The dog will be interested in blood, trust me on that. Then you tell the dog "find the blood Rover" or ask him "where is my deer Fiedoe". Every time the dog finds some blood, praise him/her like crazy and get the dog a treat. The dog now knows what it is supposed to do and will almost take you straight to the deer every time, even the first time. Take your time, be positive, praise the dog, you can't loose!
My dog is an Australian Cattle Dog or Red Heeler and I really don't know how any breed could have done it any better than him. Well unless the trail was old or whatever. But first time out, he took me straight to the deer, and most times dogs love having jobs.

I did this even when I knew where the deer was for the purpose of tracking a deer later. That way, if the dog is having trouble trusting it's nose you can assist, but the key is to praise the dog and let him/her be the one that finds it!

Good luck and I hope this helps,
KP