Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Possible tuning issue...... >

Possible tuning issue......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Possible tuning issue......

Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Possible tuning issue......

I recently bumped my draw poundage (is that correct terminology?) up to 71#’s (B/C of my Allegiance). I’ve noticed my arrows fishtailing a little bit……when my arrow gets out to about 20 yds. 30 yds and in…….it’s dead-on. At 40 yds…..it’s hitting a little left.

Could be the Indian and not the arrows…….but I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks, in advance, to the gurus.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Possible tuning issue......

It could be the indian , another posability is you have put your bow out of spec for your arrows spine , or created an underspined situation
Old 03-16-2007, 05:15 AM

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

It could be the indian , another posability is you have put your bow out of spec for your arrows spine , or created an underspined situation
What the dude with the massive steroid deer in his avatar said.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 AM

Any time you change anything on your bow there is a possibility it needs to be re tuned. You could be torquing the bow more now that there is more draw weight, or your tiller may be slightly off now causing your nocking point to have changed. Or like said, your spine may be off now.

Where was the draw weight when you started, what did you change it from? If it was a drastic change, like 60 lbs or something and you moved it to 71 then plenty of things could be wrong, or you may just be drawing to much weight to shoot well.

My advice would be to put it back to where it was and see what it does.

Paul
Old 03-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting 64#'s. I'm shooting Radial X-weave 300's.....total arrow weight is about 400gr.

My bow's been shooting SO WELL (at the lower poundage). I can turn it down......but I really don't (no internet bravado, here....just a fact) have an issue pulling it straight back at 71#'s......andmy thinking was I might as well be getting the full benefit of my bow. It's a draw weight I'm not particularly USED TO........so I won't rule ANYTHING out (such ar torquing the bow/????). I wouldn't think that would cause the fishtail, though. Am I wrong, there?

Thanks again, guys......

Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 AM

when you bottomed it out you made your ata longer. if you weren't perfect where you were, the nock height could have changed because 1 limb could have taken more turns - getting longer than the other one. also it could change your center shot a bit. the slight change in ata effects the angle the cables take to the slide, which can affect rights and lefts - so i'd walk back tune it again - as its your only option - before playing w/ spine if you think that's right.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

when you bottomed it out you made your ata longer. if you weren't perfect where you were, the nock height could have changed because 1 limb could have taken more turns - getting longer than the other one. also it could change your center shot a bit. the slight change in ata effects the angle the cables take to the slide, which can affect rights and lefts - so i'd walk back tune it again - as its your only option - before playing w/ spine if you think that's right.
What he said. I was going to respond to this but he managed to sum up what I was going to say with fewer words than I would have used. This is one of the disadvantages of a cable guard.

Stick a piece of tape vertically on your target butt. Check with a level or plumb bob to make sure it is perfectly level and attach a spot to the top of the line to aim at. Shoot one at it from 10 yards aiming at the spot. Adjust the sight so you are hitting it from 10 yards. Then step back to 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 yards aiming at the same spot. If your pattern drops vertically, you are fine. If your pattern starts to gradually shift left/right you have a center shot problem that was caused by what gibblet mentioned. If the pattern starts to drop, then move left/right and then comes back into center, and then possibly back out to left right as you walk back then you have a spine problem. Don't count your bad shots.......you should know if they are good shots or not.

How long is that shaft exactly from throat of nock to end of carbon? How much weight in the front of it? What is your draw length?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

How long is that shaft exactly from throat of nock to end of carbon? How much weight in the front of it? What is your draw length?
27.5"

100gr target point

29"