Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best learned lessons from 2006 >

Best learned lessons from 2006

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best learned lessons from 2006

Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Best learned lessons from 2006

What did you [as a hunter] learn during your 2006 season(s)?

Because of what you learned, how are you approaching the 2007 season differently?

What equipment purchases will shape how you approach this season? (GPS, new bow, range finder, etc.)

I'll respond later in the thread.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Default RE: Best learned lessons from 2006

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I need to do a better job getting to and away from my stand (and convince mybuddies to do the same).

Because of what you learned, how are you approaching the 2007 season differently?
Gonna hang a few more stands in areas where I was taking my climber.

What equipment purchases will shape how you approach this season? (GPS, new bow, range finder, etc.)

Morestands.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a meat doe early, because you're wife may develop GALL STONES, and end your season early!!! LOL Honestly, I wish I'd have shot a meat doe early, but I was waiting until later in the season, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, because I kept thinking wait, there may be a buck following. This was the first year since 2000 that my freezer went unfilled, and it was my own fault. So next year, the first "Skinhead" to try to sneak by me get NO FREE PASS!!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash hunter that is a good question, i had to stop and think about it for a while. I have to say being a college student i am not swithching gear much i'll stick with my Reflex buckskin i have it all tuned and ready to go, i shoot good with i consistenly group four inches at 50 yards with my Muzzy's. If i and anything it will be a G5 optix sight with the smart pin. The most important thing i will take into next year is the value of all day sits. When things are rockin' and rollin' you had better be there all day!You never know when the bigone is going to show up!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Mine was to adapt more throughout the season and to hunt the deer not the sign. I spent the beginning of archery season hunting stands that were surrounded in sign. I would regularly see bucks (no the bucks I was after) passing by at a distance. I kept being stubborn and telling myself that I was in the good spot (how couldn't I be? I was surrounded in trails/scrapes/rubs) but after awhile I said to heck with it and moved my stand towards where I was seeing the bucks move. The area didn't look as good on paper, the trails weren't run down and there weren't any scrapes/rubs in that general area but as season went on I had buck after buck in range. It just showed me that it doesn't matter how much sign or how good a spot looks if the deer aren't walking there while your hunting. Overall it ended up that the first couple weeks of season were more of scouting trips than hunts, and I know believe thats the way it has to be.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

You can never know an area too well. While I likean aggressive approach to hunting, I need to get even more aggressive.

Pay even moreattention to an area while shedhunting and scouting to access it better when hunting. Since I hunt on the ground andhunt right outside their bedding area... getting in and setting up with out getting detected isimportant. I missed a lot of oppertunities to hunt a certain buck because I overlooked away of getting intohis staging area when the wind wasn't right for other approaches.

I like hunting aggressive but smart to not blow an area. I wasn't aggressive enough last year. I need to pick up the aggressive part a bit more while still hunting smart.

I picked up a rip-cord drop away rest. I needed a rest thatwill keep my arrow where it needs to be whether crawling, stalking, laying on the ground and ect... for my ground hunting.

A range finder. I keep my shots to 35 yards and under so I really didn't need it. But it is nice to know the exact yardage.

Tim
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

I had the best season for seeing deer/bucks but the worst year for major mistakes. The things I learned:

1. When you know you're on a good spot have patience, I moved 80ydsup the ridge only to have a nice 8pt walk within 10ft of where I had been sitting only 20minutes later!

2. When you stalk up to a bedded 150's deerand it's only 1pm wait him out. Don't use the can call to get him to move! STUPID,STUPID,STUPID!! Again PATIENCE!

3. I hunt public land and from my observations over the last 5yrs, to be productive I will hunt the first two weeks of the season heavily and the first two weeks of November. And go more in the middle of the week.

4. Spend more time in the wood from 10am-2pm. I pushed alot of deer walking in at 1:30-2pm. It's hard for me to sit more than 4hrs but I drive 70miles one way I need to be focused and PATIENT in 2007.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 PM

This is a great question. One thing i am going to do more is more scouting. I hunt a public area that is 13,000 acres and My group that I hunt with seems to hunt a little 100 acre spot. I think if we expanded our scouting past some of the spots weve just seen sign, then we would kill bigger bucks. We used a GPS last year one time, and that spot that we used the GPS I shot two deer out of. I think if we can find more spot like these we may have a chance at seeing more quality deer.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I need to do a better job getting to and away from my stand (and convince mybuddies to do the same).

Gonna hang a few more stands in areas where I was taking my climber.

Morestands.
Atlasman, there's hope for you yet! You nailed the most important things with the least amount of words, ever! Good job!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:03 AM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Shoot a meat doe early, because you're wife may develop GALL STONES, and end your season early!!! LOL Honestly, I wish I'd have shot a meat doe early, but I was waiting until later in the season, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, because I kept thinking wait, there may be a buck following.
I do the same thing and I ALWAYS kick myself every year.
I always hope that the next state record is following that doe, BUT, in early October it's a pretty slim chance.
I'm shootin' a doe early!!!!

Quick Reply: Best learned lessons from 2006

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.