Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best learned lessons from 2006 >

Best learned lessons from 2006

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best learned lessons from 2006

Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best learned lessons from 2006

I need to do more practicing fromstands up in a tree.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

when three good looking young bucks come through that your not gonna shoot, make damn well sure that there isnt 150" buck fifty yards behind them before you start paying attention to the little ones. bc hes prolly only gonna be in range for a short time, and you had better be ready when he gets there.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

if you have a range finder around your neck- USE IT!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure my bow is tuned before shooting at a deer. The first day last year i shot at a booner at 31yrds. Wrong pin, never seen him again.
I might shoot the new Drenalin or Ross Cardiac. depends. If i win the lottery.
All in all, i need to get out and study the land and like previous post say.... get more aggresive in my approach, I'm always thinking i could be over there if i just???

Shwarcher
Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that on public land if you get up at 2am to hunt 13hrs during the rut & a guy sits 50yds from you at noon, to wait him out. when he gets antsy & moves you can still shoot a deer( a nice eating doe).I also went to a new single pin sight.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

What did you [as a hunter] learn during your 2006 season(s)?
I experienced hunting my first "primary" bedding area ever. I have limited access to areas and I have only ever hunted land that is travel routes to and from bedding areas to food sources. I have seen small beds in weeds and such, but this area is huge, like maybe 20 by 30 yards, with multiple beds, and the beds are nice ovals worn down to the bare dirt! It is on a small island in a swampy area. Not just mashed down weeds that they may use occasionally. After finding this hot spot late into the season and seeing tons of tracks and lots of rubs and scraps, but no deer I was doing more scouting and realized that I was parking my truck and walking within fifty yards of the main bedding area, they had me pegged every time!!

Because of what you learned, how are you approaching the 2007 season differently?
I will now be parking up the road a little ways and there is a small ditch that passes around three side of this area. I am planning on building a small makeshift bridge to cross the ditch so I can come in from different angles and be farther away from the bedding area on approach and then hunt a main trail better, there is only two trails going into and coming out of this bedding area, they are like deer side walks! Hoping the ditch crossing idea will put me away from the beds, but on the trail.

What equipment purchases will shape how you approach this season? (GPS, new bow, range finder, etc.)

I'll respond later in the thread.
Well I plan on hunting with my dad alot more this year, he is 65 I think, and he had a real hard time in ladder stands, but I think he did it out of being strong in front of me. So I plan on building him a nice ground blind to help make it easier for him and help cover up his movements and sound. I also plan on building at least two 20" ladder stands also and placing at the new spot I spoke of.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 AM

I'd say that as for me and my hunting buddy (we like to film our hunts as much as possible) that we need to be just as quiet leaving the area as we were entering it.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

WH this is a very good question, and it got me thinkin about the mistakesImade thispast archery season and what I will do differently during the 2007 season. I know this seems like theopposite thing you would want to do, but I am actually not going to scout my hunting area this year. Theland I have permission to hunt is probably only 3 or 4 acres. It is surrounded by cornfields on three sides, and the other side borders a large horse farm where hunting is not allowed. The deer are funneled past my stand location as they travel from their bedding area to the fields. Isee scouting this locationas just a way to increase my oddsof having the deer scent me, which is what happned last season. This is why I will also be taking scent control more seriously.

One of the most important lessons I learned last year, is that you just have to be patient. Dont start suffling around your equipment just because you saw a big buck on the other side of the property.

There is one more trick I learned last season in order to "outsmart" that big ol buck, but thats my little secret.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM

I learned that all squirrels are evil and must be killed when spotted.

So I had this AWESOME brush pile set up right smack in the middle of a deer trail. Well, wouldn't you know right when i got settled in, a demon squirrel threw a hissy fit and hissed and barked and jumped all around me. This little monster screwed up my hunt, becuase he decided to really throw a tantrum right when a nine point was approaching. Needless to say the deer was spooked, and all that came in range the rest of the hunt was a button buck and 2 small ones!!!!

For hunting season2007, I will strangle any squirrel with my bare hands that tries to get in my way!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can not really think of anything, but I did choose to do something differentfrom the year before. I always left camp with the first or second person to leave to go get on stand. I, now leave about an hour before anybody else. I like getting in the stand an settling down an about 20 minutes later listening to everyone else starting out to there stands.

Quick Reply: Best learned lessons from 2006

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.