Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Meat

Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Meat

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I myself would not make or eat jerky made from bear meat. Bear meat is like pig meat and can have a parasite called trichnososis in it. Jerky making does not reach the desired temp in the meat to make me feel safe to eat it. To each his own though. Think about it, trichnososis in pork is much less of a concern than years ago and stores or lockers around here or anywhere I have ever been,still do not sell or make pork jerky. You may end up with one or more of these in ya.
nuff said there ..... [:'(]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Bear taste like what they eat. a springe bear taste`s pretty good cause they hav`nt eaten anything naste for a while. Here in BC you have to take the meat out so you shoot a 6 footer or bigger try eating him -yek-And i agree don`t make jerky from bear meat unless its been frozen for a couple months.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

bEAR IS PART OF THE PIG FAMILY. THAT WAY IT IS TASTY
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Black bear are not even close to a pig! its closest relative is (canidae) dog
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM

had a freind of ours make it in the oven ., bear roast ., and it was great! how she did it ,i dont know, but i can find out quick!.,other then that i put my last one in jerky.,and that was great also.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

My only recomendation is if you are going to keep a bear for meat take a fall bear where they have been eating well on grain, grass berries etc. A bear that is hitting the bait hard has been eating beavers, dohnuts, cooking oil etc.
True Watha, unless he's springer...feeding with the elk and whitetails in the highcountry on natural habitat..fresh green grasses...like this old 16year old was.. He didnt stink a bit, was as yummy as can be. We had so much bear sausage made up we didnt know what to do with it all. Great breakfast sausage too.. Yummy..

Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

The bear was 16 or you were? Ya look like a pup in that pic. Great bear, congrats. As you may have realized i do not have "High" country.[8D]
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

He was aged at that Hia, we have to get all our bears here ageds by the bios, they take a tooth sample.. I never did hunt the bears around here in near the dumps.. figured they'd taste accordingly... get up in back country..they really do eat well.. I think I shot him at 5,500 something close to that.. April 30th..
Old 02-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have tried bear a few times and all I can say about it is YUK, you will not catch me eating it. I had a strong dislike for them and I live in some of the best bear hunting this state has to offer. I just can't stomach them.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot two bears and I love the meat, Just marinate it in red wine man I can taste it as it type.. Walt

Quick Reply: Bear Meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.