Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing with Broadheads >

Practicing with Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing with Broadheads

Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Practicing with Broadheads

How much can yoou shoot a broadhead into a target (one that is made for broadheads) before they need to be sharpened before hunting with them. I am talking about a 100 gr. 3 blade muzzy
Old 02-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Practicing with Broadheads

Personally, I would always sharpen the blades before hunting with them if you shot a target at all. Muzzy's blades don't hold an edge as long as some blades will. I sharpen or replace my blades if I shoot them at all into the target.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot Muzzy 100 grain, 4 blade broadheads w/ practice blades. I see no appreciable difference in the point of impact with the practice blades as compared to the real blades. Besides, the practice blades are easier on your target.

And you don't have to dull your broadhead blades!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the 3-blade 100 gr. Muzzy and i never hunt with blades that i have shot into a target. The replacement blades only cost 8 bucks or so, so why not shoot the laser sharp ones. Just my.02.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

These guys pretty much said it. If you shoot it into a target i would sharpen it before hunting or just use practice blades.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I only shoot broadheads here, in fact have never shot a field point in my life. I originally sacraficed one broadhead out of a pack and just shot that on all of my shafts. Now that i have taken a few animals i use them as practice broadheads. I personally will not hunt withhead that has been shot into an animal or a target b4, kind of a mind game i have. Want that baby spanky new and sharp enough to circumsise a fly.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Even once into a target is too many. Just buy an extra set of blades for practice only. Swap them out with fresh "virgin" blades before the hunt. Why take chances?

I always use the previous years hunting blades as practice blades and buy new blades every year for the real thing.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM

With muzzys, always use fresh blades. Even if you don't shoot them, if they've been in your quiver for a while during the season, you should probably change them out.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Why would you change a blade that has never been shot?

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

With muzzys, always use fresh blades. Even if you don't shoot them, if they've been in your quiver for a while during the season, you should probably change them out.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once for me on deer or any larger animal. Let'r rip on smaller critters.

Quick Reply: Practicing with Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.