Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Vacation planning, Do you check the moon? >

Vacation planning, Do you check the moon?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Vacation planning, Do you check the moon?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Vacation planning, Do you check the moon?

It's time to put in for vacation at work and I always take a week off during what I determine to be peak activity time for the big boys.
For the past several years I have used Dr. Charles Alsheimers' method to determine the right week. He claims that 3-4 days before the rutting moon,the seeking phase of the rut will begin. For 10 days the mature bucks will be up and looking for estrous does.
My expierence has varried and don't really see major activity.

Do you use this or any other method to determine the best time to be out? Is it all hogwash or does weather and a traditional time period set up the best activity?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Vacation planning, Do you check the moon?

I too am very interested in this topic and just hours ago ordered the book "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon", by Charles Alsheimer. Very anxious to get it and read more in detail what he has to say.
I personally don't think that any method is going to pin point the exact timing of the phases of the rut, but I do believe that he (Charles Alsheimer) and others have studied this issue enough that they are offering very reliable information as to the general times of the phases of the rut.
From what I have read in the past, it has everything to do with the photoperiod related to solar and lunar events and nothing to do with the weather. If the weather has any impact at all, I think it would only be in extreme cases where the heat may cause the deer to be a little more selective and move during cooler hours. That said, I'm not sure they have the ability to subdue the urges that come with the rut and they may have to get up and move no matter what the weather.
JMO
Old 02-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have kept a very detailed journal on hunting over the past 5 seasons now. Listed is every encounter with an adult doe or buck of any age. I record the outside temp., wind speed, wind direction, moon phase, sunset and rise times, etc. etc etc.

My findings have always been pretty "undetermined" by the first full moon in November. Keep in mind that I am in Illinois. The seeking phase seems to depend more on the photoperiod (amount of daylight) then anything. I've always seen the best seeking bucks between the 7th and 15th of November, despite when the moon is full. And again about 2 days before thanksgiving and about 3 days after.

I own and have read that same Alsheimer book. Generally for me the best seeking occurs about 2-3 days after the full moon. And yes, I believe the weather plays a major role to an extent. The moon plays a role, just not one I can easily determin.

And.. all of this would most likely change throughout the country.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I have kept a very detailed journal on hunting over the past 5 seasons now. Listed is every encounter with an adult doe or buck of any age. I record the outside temp., wind speed, wind direction, moon phase, sunset and rise times, etc. etc etc.

My findings have always been pretty "undetermined" by the first full moon in November. Keep in mind that I am in Illinois. The seeking phase seems to depend more on the photoperiod (amount of daylight) then anything. I've always seen the best seeking bucks between the 7th and 15th of November, despite when the moon is full. And again about 2 days before thanksgiving and about 3 days after.

I own and have read that same Alsheimer book. Generally for me the best seeking occurs about 2-3 days after the full moon. And yes, I believe the weather plays a major role to an extent. The moon plays a role, just not one I can easily determin.

And.. all of this would most likely change throughout the country.
Good post duke, for some reason where I hunt(I have kept records for 22 years now) I seem to see mature deer the last weekend in Oct. All with a Hot doe. I still see plenty of movement 7th-15th, but it is more "wild" movement. Meaning the mature deer our running somewhere, but I do not think they really knowNo set pattern to their madness.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regionally that would make good sense Germ, the northern parts of Wisconsin seem to have the most activity that last week of October too. At least thats what I was always told.

Freakin' deer and their undeterminable ways!![:@]
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I plan my vacation right before the chase(wild) phase of the rut. When mature deer are crusing phase. Right after the cruise phase I see a slowdown in movment for a few days. My theroy is they are resting for the chase, but who know[8D]

I take the Nov 1st-15 off every year.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

the northern parts of Wisconsin seem to have the most activity that last week of October too. At least thats what I was always told.

Around halloween seems to have more activity in Pa. At least from my records. I've only been keeping a journal for 5 years.
I don't see as much activity around thst full moon like I've expected.
Even when it's cold and the "ideal" conditoins supposidly exist.
It MAY also have to do w/ the mast crop. By November the feed is scattered and browsing more prevelant than a specific food source in the woods.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth, I like the pre-rut better then the actual rut. I prefer a new moon or close to it.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 AM

Ifind this very interesting, I have always been curious of how well it works. I normally pick my hunting times by looking ata barometer. Anytime I see a change starting to occure I hit the woods. Thanks for the thread, I think I'll be ordering a book
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Dr. Alshiemer is coming to my brothers church for a Wild Game Banqet in a couple of weeks. I am definatly going to be there. I have followed his theory for a few years and it has paid off for me. The last couple of years we have not had a "Classic Rut" here in VA. It has been more of a trickle. I think he is theorizing that this next season will bea nice "Classic Rut".

Mike

Quick Reply: Vacation planning, Do you check the moon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.