HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Iowa considers Contraceptive? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/179186-iowa-considers-contraceptive.html)

bruteshooter 02-05-2007 05:57 PM

Iowa considers Contraceptive?

DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa wildlife experts are looking into a new deer contraceptive that could curb the state's multimillion-dollar-a-year overpopulation problem.[/align]
The new, single-dose birth control vaccine would neutralize sex hormones in the famously fertile and polygamous animals. It would result in infertility in both males and females.
"It's not something you want anyone or everyone to use," said Dale Garner, wildlife bureau chief at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. "We want to make sure it's not used willy-nilly in the state."
In order to do that, there's a bill before the state Legislature aimed at regulating wildlife contraceptives. The proposed legislation would also restrict the use of growth hormones in deer, as well as drugs for sedating animals or treating them for disease.
The contraceptive vaccine, called GonaCon, is being developed by researchers at the National Wildlife Research Center, a branch of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in March, said Gail Keirn, a spokeswoman for the research center.
The EPA wouldn't likely approve the drug until early 2008, making it the first wildlife contraceptive available for nonresearch purposes.
Researchers say the vaccine, a protein, shouldn't be dangerous for people to eat meat from a vaccinated deer. However, Garner worries about what could happen if people are accidentally injected with the drug.
"What if some people in a neighborhood get a deer down ... and it's kicking or takes a side step or a roll and some guy or lady gets injected in the rear end?" he said. "Or if somebody's shooting a dart gun at deer in a park, and it misses an animal and hits a person? Or if a kid picks up an unspent dart and the injection goes off?"
Use of wildlife contraception in Iowa is not a common practice, so far, said Chad Machart, president of the Iowa Whitetail Deer Association. Other vaccines have seemed impractical because they required singling out females for an injection, then finding the same animals again later for a booster shot.
Garner said it could cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000 to capture and inject each deer with the vaccine, adding that its effect lasts only two years
[/align]

demoIL 02-05-2007 06:02 PM

RE: Iowa considers Contraceptive?

That's so stupid.. I really hope they don't do that.[:@]

Monie 02-05-2007 06:03 PM

HOLY CRAP!! WHAT IDIOTS!

I'll send an email to your reps in just a minute...then if it hasn't already been posted, I'll let the folks at TNUSA know about this. I KNOW they'll help out by send emails and the Nuge might even give your reps a call to tell them what "numbnuts" they are!

Wouldn't it be easier to lower the price of tags or allot more tags! Geeze anything but contraceptives!

Monie 02-05-2007 06:28 PM

Those reps got a good piece of my mind.

Take a minute and write to them. Let them know it is NOT okay!

Yeah, it might not be your state it's happening to...yet.

If this passes in Iowa, the rest of us are screwed!!

hardcorehunter 02-05-2007 06:34 PM

Saw it on AT. It will never fly with IAtaxpayers. Hunting is the only viable way to keep the deer numbers in check in the state. Hunting brings revenue in the millions with deer hunting and doesn't cost the state money. Contraceptives cost money and then with the publics' fear and uneasiness of eating a deer that has been injected with drugs, this will never be implemented. IA deer hunters have stepped up to the plate and have been killing large numbers of deer over the last few years as directed and suggested by the DNR. The herd is getting closer in a comfortable deer density according to the state DNR wildlife Bureau head. From what I have heard,the state DNRis not considering it, just propaganda by antis with that article. Notice the 1st line in the report above....wildlife experts; more like anti hunters. The IA DNR states that hunting is THE ONLY VIABLE WAY TO CONTROL THE DEER POPULATION. Money talks and B.S. walks.

Dubbya 02-05-2007 07:03 PM

They've done some of that with pigs in Texas, not sure what the results have been though.

Fieldmouse 02-05-2007 07:14 PM

I think there needs to be a public funding of ads hung around the trees teaching the proper use of trojans and the benifits of two ruts. That would educated the bucks better and be more cost effective.

Pa Trophy Man 02-05-2007 07:32 PM

It will never happen, they proposed that in special reg areas in Pa awhile back- they ended running the numbers and found it would cost hundreds of dollars in materails and man hours to steralize just one deer...no tax payers in their right mind would pay that.

jnrbronc 02-05-2007 08:14 PM

The Iowa DNR is trying to get legislation passed to RESTRICT this! They don't want cities (for some reason Iowa City comes to mind, due to their refusal to allow hunting yet hiring White Buffalo as sharp shooters) and private citizens taking matters into their own hands. I hope they ban this, because I sure don't want to eat a deer that has been shot up with some experimental pharmaceutical. If this ever comes about, the DNR wants complete control over the who, what, where, when and why.

Fletch NY 02-05-2007 08:25 PM

They have tried to push this in some east coast states and even have tried it in some study areas. All have failed miserably. As in the deer need to be repetitively done and results were not favorable and costs were in the hundreds of dollars per deer at the cheapest!!!!! Along with the fact that you are now introducing drugs into wild animals that could have who knows what future cosequences! You should be able to search and find some of the results to add to your emails to your reps.

4TRACKS 02-05-2007 08:30 PM

$300.00 TO $1,000.00 DOLLARS .
Maybe they should offer that much in discounted deer hunts .
I bet theyed get a lot of takers and they would be farther ahead .:D

Sliverflicker 02-05-2007 10:36 PM

Dont kid your selves, this has been in the works for awhile, they continue to work on it, and when they find a cost efficient way to deliver it, some types of hunting and places to hunt will be affected. PETA Freaks, FarmGroups and Insurance Companys will demand it!

GMMAT 02-06-2007 06:05 AM

Everyone saying "it'll never happen" is being VERY naive about this situation.

I'll bet $100 cities hire sharpshooters at +/-$300 a head in lieu of leaving it up to the state DNR and hunters. They do it, already. Who's pulling THEIR strings???

Like I said all along.....I just don't want to ever be one of thos guys that wakes up one day saying...."I didn't think they could do that".

PreacherTony 02-06-2007 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'll bet $100 cities hire sharpshooters at +/-$300 a head in lieu of leaving it up to the state DNR and hunters. They do it, already. Who's pulling THEIR strings???

Like I said all along.....I just don't want to ever be one of thos guys that wakes up one day saying...."I didn't think they could do that".
Jeff, they do it out here in the town of Amherst, NY, a suburb of Buffalo. Instead of allowing a controlled bowhunt, they snipe 'em. Other places in WNY too. It's real and happening now. You are so right.

Javabird17 02-06-2007 06:51 AM

Unreal.. I am on a waiting list for a tag and they want to WASTE millions on "the pill" for deer.. let more of us out-of-state hunters in and we can help curb the population..

kevin1 02-06-2007 06:58 AM

Contraceptives have been an expensive failure everywhere they've been tried , what makes Iowa figure that they'll do any better? You'd think they'd learn from the mistakes others have made.

petasux 02-06-2007 07:03 AM

What a crock.When the insurance industry started pushing for more deer to be killed in this state hunters stepped up to the plate and the DNR started offering more seasons, huge amounts of doe tags, and a way to get rid of all the extra deer people wanted to shoot but had no room for through the HUSH program.Many lockers in the state now except deer through this program and the meat goes to feed the hungry.Hunters for thier part killed record numbers of does every year since the tags became available, turned the tides and for the first time since deer season was established killed more does then bucks yearly.Weve also funded the Hush program without help of any sort from the same insurance industry that lobbied for this deer kill off with monies added on to the cost of our licenses.

By even suggesting contraceptives in areas like Iowa City theyre ignoring the real problem, to many urban areas and private NR owned lands are becoming huge deer sanctuaries.Nothing against NR hunters intended but the current licensing system many of them are lucky to get to hunt land they own here maybe every 2 or 3 years, much of the land sits idle in the meantime and becomes affective deer refuges.It doesnt take deer long to recognize these places as safe areas.Iowa City chose not to let the DNR do thier job in the city and manage the deer numbers through hunting, they opted for spending vast amounts of money hiring sharp shooters instead.They footed the bill for it so its thier problem if its not effective.But getting the state involved in this type of craps going to mean either the state or DNR will footing the bill for a program thats ineffective and has very short term results.Im gonna email some of my elected officials now, this just pisses me off[:@][:'(]

Hoytteen 02-06-2007 07:43 AM

thats retarded...imagine all of the hard working taxpayers dollar go down the drain...3 to 4 grand a deer for one shot! thats outragous!!![:@]

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Jeff, they do it out here in the town of Amherst, NY, a suburb of Buffalo. Instead of allowing a controlled bowhunt, they snipe 'em. Other places in WNY too. It's real and happening now. You are so right.

East coast happenings. Probably also hunter apathy, not enough interest in the bowhunt from locals, so the city hires sharpshooters. Who knows,they still can't hunt on Sundays in some states. West of the Mississippi, different points of view and outlook on everything.

GMMAT 02-06-2007 08:05 AM

East coast happenings. Probably also hunter apathy, not enough interest in the bowhunt from locals, so the city hires sharpshooters. Who knows,they still can't hunt on Sundays in some states. West of the Mississippi, different points of view and outlook on everything.
Speaking of "Hunter Apathy", Don.....the fact that the above things YOU mention doesn't bother you.....speaks volumes. The NIMBY (not in my back yard) latent pacifist attitude (and I'm not making fun of you, believe me....I'm pointing out something that is going to get worse and worse) is contagious, I'm sorry to say.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 08:10 AM

Speaking of "Hunter Apathy", Don.....the fact that the above things YOU mention doesn't bother you.....speaks volumes. The NIMBY (not in my back yard) latent pacifist attitude (and I'm not making fun of you, believe me....I'm pointing out something that is going to get worse and worse) is contagious, I'm sorry to say.

You need to apply your sig to this reply of yours.

Don't read anything into my posts. I mean EXACTLY what I write.

GMMAT 02-06-2007 08:16 AM

I'm just going off of past posts, Don. There are PLENTY of hunters who don't care what happens in other states.....as long as it doesn't affect their season....their quarry.....their state.

Red Lion 02-06-2007 08:22 AM

The use of affordable contraception through out the US in order to control deer populations is going to happen no matter what we want. It will eventually make sense, as it will at some point be cost effective, and it will be implemented, not only in Iowa, but all over.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 08:32 AM

I'm just going off of past posts, Don. There are PLENTY of hunters who don't care what happens in other states.....as long as it doesn't affect their season....their quarry.....their state.
Not me. I care for all of my fellow hunters.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

The use of affordable contraception through out the US in order to control deer populations is going to happen no matter what we want. It will eventually make sense, as it will at some point be cost effective, and it will be implemented, not only in Iowa, but all over.
How is spending money to implement contraceptives cost effective, compared tohaving hunters pay for deer tags, hunting licenses, taxes on hunting clothing, hunting supplies, guns, bows,motels, food, restaurants, fuel, etc. There are taxes on all of the above from hunters that generate billions of dollars. How does spending money instead of making money, make sense?

Red Lion 02-06-2007 08:47 AM

Cost effective from the stand point of being affordable enough, in leu of hunting for the majority of the population to get behind. About 80% of our society is either anti-hunting or not interested. Before you jump on my "80%" as well, it may not be the precise number, but clsoe from what I recall.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 08:55 AM

I won't argue with your #'s RL, I don't know them either. How does the state make up the billions lost in revenue from huntersand how does the state present higher taxes to the already tax burdeoned citizen? Are we going to birth control the raccoons, possums, coyotes, turkeys, and other game to keep their #'s healthy so that disease does not take its' toll and to protect property owners and farmers from property loss and crop damage? Do we put this contraceptive in the entire water system so that all animals are insured a dose?

Germ 02-06-2007 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I won't argue with your #'s RL, I don't know them either. How does the state make up the billions lost in revenue from huntersand how does the state present higher taxes to the already tax burdeoned citizen? Are we going to birth control the raccoons, possums, coyotes, turkeys, and other game to keep their #'s healthy so that disease does not take its' toll and to protect property owners and farmers from property loss and crop damage? Do we put this contraceptive in the entire water system so that all animals are insured a dose?
HCH has some great points, I think RL is correct it will be tried. I think it will fail. I spend a pile of time in my woods, I bet i have not seen every deer.

Like HCH said, someone has to pay for it, I know I will vote no to any new taxes in my area.

Red Lion 02-06-2007 09:00 AM

You make very solid points. Obviously contraception is not realistic now, due to cost and effectiveness, but I was just expressing that when/if contraception becomes "affordable enough" it will get used. Maybe more so in urban areas,where many folkswould prefer not to have hunters/sharp shooters hunting in their neighborhood, but still need to get numbers down.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

You make very solid points. Obviously contraception is not realistic now, due to cost and effectiveness, but I was just expressing that when/if contraception becomes "affordable enough" it will get used. Maybe more so in urban areas,where many folkswould prefer not to have hunters/sharp shooters hunting in their neighborhood, but still need to get numbers down.
I agree RL. We had a city bowhunt here in Ames andbasically no one it participated in it. I had a ton of tags already in my pocket, busy working, and when I do have time to hunt, I like to go to my own landsto hunt. My buddies were in the same boat. Hunter apathy; we just already have our own places to hunt, deer already in the freezer, and lack of free time to help out the city hunt. Yes, I can see cities looking at different methods to control them.

PreacherTony 02-06-2007 09:10 AM

Don, with all due respect, and I DO respect you,like reading your posts, and your sense of humor, you do seem to have a "not in my back yard" philosophy at times. You think that it's all about $ .... I don't agree. I believe it's all about legislation. IMO

Germ. you may vote no to a resolution or proposition, if in fact it is put forth that way. But laws are happening in the more liberal states that WILL, and I repeat, WILL have a resounding affect in our entire country eventually. I have kids, and by the grace of God, I will have grandchildren one day and if we are not careful to elect the folks that stand for what we believe .... our sport will be doomed ....

Slim Pickins 02-06-2007 09:12 AM

[/quote] East coast happenings. Probably also hunter apathy, not enough interest in the bowhunt from locals, so the city hires sharpshooters. Who knows,they still can't hunt on Sundays in some states. West of the Mississippi, different points of view and outlook on everything.
[/quote]

How is spending money to implement contraceptives cost effective, compared tohaving hunters pay for deer tags, hunting licenses, taxes on hunting clothing, hunting supplies, guns, bows,motels, food, restaurants, fuel, etc. There are taxes on all of the above from hunters that generate billions of dollars. How does spending money instead of making money, make sense?
Hardcorehunter,
There is one common theme with most of your comments, you are just throwing out your opinion or guessing what happens in other states. If you don't know what is goin on in Iowa then why do you even remark about apathy in other states. So are you going to fight the proposal in Iowa or do you not have time or just don't care because you already have too much land to hunt. These remarks are not meant to be insults and they are not my opinion of you, my statements can be backed by statements you have made. Whether they choose contraception or sharpshooters it is a threat to the sport of hunting. All over the country cities are paying $300 to have deer killed and all you say is it must be hunter apathy. Just because you have not gotten involved does not mean that everyone else just sits on their hands.

here is another fact for you
"The latest year data released from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service shows that there are 14.7 million individuals with a paid, certified hunting license. Caution: Keep in mind that hunting license sales are not a true indication of the number of hunters. Many states offer lifetime licenses while other states do not require youth to carry a license. Therefore license sales are always lower than the actual number of hunters."

"The NSSF estimates that there are 20.6 million active hunters in the United States"

US population 301,113,424

EQUALS 5% OF THE US POPULATION AS LICENSED HUNTERS

Do you think the other 95% pay a lot of taxes?

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 09:21 AM

I respect you too PT. I do care about other states' laws. I lived in Massachusetts for a year and I am aware of a liberal state such as MA. The state wouldn't even allow hunting on Sundays. I couldn't wait to move. If this contraceptive plan was viable, believe me, it would be already in effect in that state. You just about had to pay a tax to go to the restroom in liberal "Taxachussetts". When MA implements a statewide ban on hunting and implements contraceptives for animal population control, I will take more interest in these so called anti-hunting , contraceptive fears. This thread is about IA, and since I am and have been an Iowan most of my entire life, I feel I have a pretty good grasp and comprehension of this topic.

Red Lion 02-06-2007 09:23 AM

Wow, Slim, its now 5% who are hunters? That is concerning to me if accurate.

MO Archer 02-06-2007 09:24 AM

This is most likely just a business interest ploy or partnership. I worked on government contracts for years and worked on all sorts of dumb stuff that didn't work and costed millions of dollars because the companythat was dealing with the contractwas headed by some nephew or son-in-law of some governemnt official that wanted to see that particular person profit from something. It can happen...even if it is an extreme cost per deer. There are alot bigger people than the average joe involved somewhere that stands to make alot of money from this and they are continuously lobbying it to the state and will continue to do it for years until it passes or they find another way to make some easy tax dollars.

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 09:31 AM

Slim, this is a story that the antis have put out, or like stated by MO Archer, a company with intersets due to them making the contraceptive,and the state head wildlife bureau is not in favor of it or considering it.. Wildlife experts aren't considering this as the story implies. The "wildlife experts" are animal rights activists, or contraceptive marketers,and that is who the "wildlife experts" are. I guess if I lose my right to hunt here because of contraceptives it will be my own fault.:eek:I already pointed out why this WILL never happen. I respect your right to live in fear of the anti-hunting propaganda, I just don't buy it. My right to my opinion, Right?

JoeRE 02-06-2007 09:45 AM

It will not happen in Iowa--not yet. I also do not think it will happen anywhere else very soon as there is absolutely no contraseptive procedure deleloped yet that is successful in both money(&time) and results other than hunting. Antihunters are a very small % of the population, most people are indifferent, and if they have to pay to control the deer herd- something that is now generating state & business revenue--they will say NO.I am refering to state wide seasons, cities obviously sometimes shell out $s quite willingly
HCH- I have heard the Ames hunts didnt work so well, but some do, Cedar Rapids has had a very successful season. I think it depends on the way DNR and city officials aproach the hunt, earning a buck tag after shooting x number of does was how it was approached in CR, as well as getting more of the community involved with open forums etc. This helped in dispelling any scare stories the antis came up with.

PreacherTony 02-06-2007 09:48 AM

I respect your right to live in fear of the anti-hunting propaganda, I just don't buy it. My right to my opinion, Right?
There is a difference between living in fear and doing what you can out of responsibility to our sport in a whole. If it all crashes down one day, you won't have to say .... "man, I never saw it coming" IMO

hardcorehunter 02-06-2007 09:52 AM

Good to see you on here Joe. Back in IA now? I agree that these city hunts have been a big success. Ames just wasn't. I agree that letting a person takes a buck after shoot a doe is a reward that could spark some interest. There are some bruisers living in the cities. Anyway, good to see you back here, I always enjoy your post.

Germ 02-06-2007 09:55 AM

Alright HCH I will come to Iowa and shoot a couple city doe's and a buck:D

Wait is it hunting or shooting, lol