Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or Traditional >

Compound or Traditional

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Compund
50.00%
Traditional
10.87%
Both
34.78%
Neither
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Compound or Traditional

Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compound or Traditional

Traditional.I've always shot recurves and longbows.When I started bowhunting 27 years ago,I bought a compound because that's what everyone else used.I hunted with that for some time and had some success but never really felt comfortable with it,I didn't like the sights and the break over on the draw really bothered me so I went back to the recurves about10 or so years ago.Now I strictly shoot longbows.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:11 AM

I clicked on both. My initial 25+ years were spent using longbows and recurves. I then went through a period of using both and eventually to compounds exclusively due to severe arthritis in my hands. But..I just went back to a light 44# recurve and I seem to be able to shoot 20 -30 arrows before I have to quit. Next season I'll be back to trads. Nothing like the satisfaction of success with a bare bow trad.....

laxdad
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 AM

I've been shooting a longbow for the past 4 years because compounds are for wussy's and sissy's and using one takes away everything there is about bowhunting .......... ......... did I just say that ?

BTW I bought my Dad's Mathews Q2 and will likely use it this fall [:-]
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I clicked both, but right now its overwhelmingly more with a compound. I want to get back into trad more this coming season. I won't feel completed as a bowhunter until I take a deer with trad equipment.
Amen to that! There is just something about going back to the ways of old to take a deer that has a certain appeal. The pride behind doing it like thatmaybe? I guess its another reason I'm picking up trad shooting.
that makes three of us.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot both, somthing about picking up my recurve makes me feel like a true archer. I can pick up my new Vectrix XL (now that it is set) on any given day and shoot tight groups. But my recurve is on total instinct, not put the pin on the target. It is also a lot easier to stalk turkey and deer with my recurve. Different shooting angles and quick release. IMO
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I clicked both, but right now its overwhelmingly more with a compound. I want to get back into trad more this coming season. I won't feel completed as a bowhunter until I take a deer with trad equipment.
Amen to that! There is just something about going back to the ways of old to take a deer that has a certain appeal. The pride behind doing it like thatmaybe? I guess its another reason I'm picking up trad shooting.
that makes three of us.
yay strength in numbers!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more compound shooters telling us we're all idiots lol. There has been more of them on the poll, but maybe they're just scared to tell us why...
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a recurve, I don't own a compound, but I've shot a few of them . I didn't care for the compounds, I prefer simplicity in a weapon.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM

first bow was a recurve but i havnt shot that in probably 10 years or so. now i only use a compound.