Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How has hunting changed your life? >

How has hunting changed your life?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How has hunting changed your life?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How has hunting changed your life?

Just out of curiosity I guess. Just wondering if hunting has ever completely changed your life. I can tell you it has for me. I guess a lot of kids have the same dreams, sports athletes, firemen, etc....you know the usual. I've decided I'm going to make hunting my life's work. That's what I want to do for a living. It changed me so much I'm going to school to be a producer, which lead me to the 4th ranked TCOM shool in the country. I just think it's interesting how much hunting has become a passion to me and many other people. So much so, that people relate themselves to being a hunter before anything else. I was just curious, and find it interesting......anyone else?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How has hunting changed your life?

Hunting has ruined my life. There are some days when its all i think about. I cant function if i dont get a fix. Its a serious addiction. There is nothing sweeter than getting a good fix.

Im trying to get into the industry as a writer, and plan to apply to some hunting companies soon, (finish my MBA in 4 months). But if i dont work in the industry I'll be just as happy.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:02 PM

I like this thread. But I don't know as if hunting has changed me at all because as long as I can remember it has been a part of me. To me the biggest part of hunting that has changed me is bowhunting. I took up bowhunting about 5 years ago and it was the best move I've ever made in my life. Bowhunting has taught me to be patient, respectful and courtious (sp. ?) in all parts of life. It is something that I will try to pass on to my future kids. Being that I'm 21 bowhunting has made me a better person.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:02 PM

It has had an influence in my career choice. I wanted a stable job where i would be around home to hunt all of the time, weekends off etc. Enjoy helping people and kids so i became a teacher. It will influence where i get my first job. I will not take a teaching job unless it is close to my current home. I may have to wait 5 years to get a job but that is fine i have other actually better forms of income until that time. It has affected where i chose to do my student teaching practice, chose places with good hunting opportunity, inlfuenced what university i went to, influenced what kind of vehicle i drive (truck). Influenced my life plans of buying out a farm back home and a pile of land. So basically it has cost me alot of money. I basically have scheduled my whole life around this.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

It is my life. Like the Harley Davidson saying; "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll just say this, In 98, I was darned near killed afterbreaking my back in 4 placesand was just 2mm from being paralyzed for life. The Lord spared me imo. Getting back to hunting a whitetail was a huge motive in my recovery. After getting out of the hospital in late October, I had to reteach myself to walk again. Myneuro-surgeon recommended walking a longer distance everyday. I would do just that andoutside. I begged him to let me hunt if I could walk, He said ok, but not until I could walk a mile and I would have to have someone pack my animal out if I got one. I found myself curling up in a ball in the woods sleeping/takingnaps frompain and exhaustion of walking again, I deeply wanted to hunt again.

Three weeks after leaving the Hospital (were I spent20 days)on Nov 15th, I slipped slowing down into a creek bottom on a traditional scrape line that I new of from years past. 1 hour after setting next to an old pine tree and many prayers, I killed the most important whitetail of my life. I can not explain what that moment felt like knowing that I could still hunt, that I still had my life and my legs.I realized during those days in the hospital and walking in the woods for therapy what was really important to me and hunting was one of them. My priorities from that point on changed forever.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldnt say it changed my life...but it SHAPED it. it made me who i am. without the outdoors in general who knows where id be or what id be doing. i wouldnt be going to school for park and resource management/park law enforcement thats for sure. when i get bored or frustrated or stressed what would i do? i wouldnt head to the woods or to the stream to get away..i dont know where id be or what id be doing...but hunting and the outdoors shape my life making me who i am. and im proud to be who i am and glad i turned out how i did. my father did a good thing when he started taking me hunting and fishing and shooting when i was in diapers...when i rolled my truck driving through a field at night looking for deer he blamed himself. he knows its because of him that nothing can keep me out of the woods. but hes proud of me. i keep my head on straight and enjoy life..
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: shed33

I'll just say this, In 98, I was darned near killed afterbreaking my back in 4 placesand was just 2mm from being paralyzed for life. The Lord spared me imo. Getting back to hunting a whitetail was a huge motive in my recovery. After getting out of the hospital in late October, I had to reteach myself to walk again. Myneuro-surgeon recommended walking a longer distance everyday. I would do just that andoutside. I begged him to let me hunt if I could walk, He said ok, but not until I could walk a mile and I would have to have someone pack my animal out if I got one. I found myself curling up in a ball in the woods sleeping/takingnaps frompain and exhaustion of walking again, I deeply wanted to hunt again.

Three weeks after leaving the Hospital (were I spent20 days)on Nov 15th, I slipped slowing down into a creek bottom on a traditional scrape line that I new of from years past. 1 hour after setting next to an old pine tree and many prayers, I killed the most important whitetail of my life. I can not explain what that moment felt like knowing that I could still hunt, that I still had my life and my legs.I realized during those days in the hospital and walking in the woods for therapy what was really important to me and hunting was one of them. My priorities from that point on changed forever.
Damn, makes me realize my broken ankle is just a splinter in a finger compared to what you went thru. Glad to hear you are recovered.Youare, right?Cool story.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I broke my back (L3 burst fracture) in 94 Shed. IMO the lord helped me too. Like you I had to rebuild my legs. Bowhunting was and still is a great therapy. Oh I can lay down one hell of a two step now. Bowhunting is one of the many things that make my life great.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I broke my back (L3 burst fracture) in 94 Shed. IMO the lord helped me too. Like you I had to rebuild my legs. Bowhunting was and still is a great therapy. Oh I can lay down one hell of a two step now. Bowhunting is one of the many things that make my life great.
Yes, but can you dance like a motown whiteboy?

Quick Reply: How has hunting changed your life?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.