Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Urban" Archery

Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Urban" Archery

I've often eluded to the way I hunt as "urban archery". I guess some have taken that to think I set up outside the fences of a city park and wait for the deer to come to my corn pile....lol. Just for the record.....here's an aerial view of the area I hunt.

The "Park" is over 200 acres that's an old farm. The only area that resembles a park is he walking track and the pond that they allow people to fish in. The deer, quite frankly, stay away from the pond and the people.

The area on the other side of the "park" is working farms (alternate between corn a nd soy beans). The park's a sanctuary....because no hunting is allowed in there.....but the guys on the other side WEAR THEM OUT. My side gets bowhunted by ME, only (and my son). I won't apologize for the number of deer I see.....but I'd ask....would you hunt them if they were in your "back yard" (I live directly to the left of this area on my 3 acres)?

It's always interesting to see where/how people hunt.....and I've eluded to my area more than once.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Urban" Archery

A larger map and an outline of what you can hunt would be much needed to get a better overview of your properties.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried......but couldn't get the "line" thingy to work.

I hunt everything (about 65acres) left of the smallest pond and south (plan N& S) of the road. The parcels are anywhere from 24 to 1.4 acres. Also....anything from the 10 ac woodlot to my home along the road side (N).
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt right behind my house. The biggest buck i ever killed was shot less than 400 yrds from my house. Granted my house backs up right to 80 acres of woods, and that is surround by 5000 acres of forrest.

Another place I leased was an 80 acre farm that was 90% field. I've bowhunted the edges of the fields and could see into people's houses... Didnt enjoy doing that to much, but if the deer are there you should be too.

The places I hunt in VA put me over a mile from the nearest road, so I get a mix of Urban to Remote hunting...
Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I will shoot them from even inside my house an have. I'm just pissed I didn't switch my bed room windows so I could shoot them from there as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I am forced to hunt suburban type areas. I have hunted and shot deer behind my house. I don't particularly like it, cause I hate hearing cars, people, dogs, etc. Sometimes it can be very productive sometimes its like a ghostland. I'd rather take my chances elsewhere. But for the times when I can't get to my "good" spots, hunting the suburbs is better than sitting home.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

im with rybohunter. we live and play on very similar grounds im sure as western PA is pretty much the same. I like him rather be in the big woods where you dont hear the cars, trains, dogs, kids playing, etc. but when im home im pretty much forced to unless i want to drive over an hour to get away from it all. i like to switch it up just because sometimes when i hunt i just wanna get away from it all. but urban hunting can be very productive. but like rybo said it can also be a long miserable day of seeing nothing because something went wrong. also both face diffrent challenges. i find hunting the big woods hard because its hard to nail down bedding areas and food sources because they are so abundant. where hunting urban areas theres generally a solid food source and a few bedding areas for every small lot which can make it easier to figure deer out...but then again one wrong move in small lots and you can be busted big time. slam the truck door, something hitting your stand, wind changing directions etc.

my first spring gobbler i killed i walked 2 blocks down the road and into the woods. though the woods are decint sized i could hear traffic, trains etc. and i walked out with that bird 2 blocks to my house. some people would never hunt like that. one of my archery spots is in a small maybe 2 acre orchard. from my tree i can see a ton of houses and roads. it was funny because i got to watch everyone leave for work. when everyone was gone the deer would enter the orchard it seemed. one day i watched 2 bucks eat apples and listen to a maniciple truck load up tools for the day about 100yds behind me. though the deer didnt care they were there it was wierd to me..
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

but I'd ask....would you hunt them if they were in your "back yard" (I live directly to the left of this area on my 3 acres)?

Yes.....laxdad
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Hunt them wherever they are. It doesn't matter whether it's in your backyard or not. Just because they are easier to hunt in some areas than othersdoesn' t mean you shouldn't hunt the "easier" areas. If a deer is practically forced to funnel between two subdivisions100 yards apart, does that mean you shouldn't shoot him? You may not feel as much accomplishment, but that doesn't make it unethical.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunt them wherever they are. It doesn't matter whether it's in your backyard or not. Just because they are easier to hunt in some areas than othersdoesn' t mean you shouldn't hunt the "easier" areas. If a deer is practically forced to funnel between two subdivisions100 yards apart, does that mean you shouldn't shoot him? You may not feel as much accomplishment, but that doesn't make it unethical.
I thought everybody hunted them "where they are". I've always assumed that was the plan. If I shouldn't.....I DO take offense to the insinuation that my hunting is "easier". I dunno.

I've never NOT felt a sense of accomplishment when I take an animal.

Quick Reply: "Urban" Archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.