Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dead Deer Running... >

Dead Deer Running...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dead Deer Running...

Old 12-02-2002, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Dead Deer Running...

I was in my tree stand over looking a swamp bed. This nice 170 lbs. spike walked out into the opening about 150 yards in front of me. He slowly worked his way towards my position. At about 16 yards he turned broadside to my stand. I drew back my trusty Hoyt and let the arrow fly. The spike sprinted off about 50 yards, stopped, turned around to look at me. I glanced over to my left and saw the arrow sticking perfectly straight into the ground. I instantly started to question myself on how I could of missed... I use back tention release and thought maybe I should of just pulled the trigger. Well after a few seconds I looked back over at the Deer to see if he might be thinking of returning. Just then he fell over sideways like someone "Cow Tipped" him. He didn't move an inch after he hit the ground.

Once I got him up at the cleaning house, I picked up his heart and it had a perfect "Star" pattern through the middle of it. My fixed blade muzzy 100 had made a perfect pass-through. The Deer was dead and didn't even know it. It was the best shot I've ever made on a Whitetail Gun or Bow.

Be Good!

TxBowman

Old 12-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Dead Deer Running...

Great shot Tx, congrats to ya.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 09:49 AM

WOW, a 170 lb spike did it have guts in it when it was weighted. they must be huge in texas. congrats on the shot. they do not go far when u hit the intended target. I nailed a doe opening day (bow) and she went 25 yards and fell dead, and 2 weeks ago I nailed a 9 point that went 35 yards and fell over dead.. I use split-fire 100`s and they work good too...

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Spike

Jevan,

The weight was 170 lbs. pre-clean and gut. He had good mass on his spikes and they were about 5 inches tall. I normally would of let him pass but my family was counting on a Deer Dinner and time was running out.

I live in Texas but hunt in North Corolina, Long story short, My wife's family is from there and I spend my vacation time with them. So, I have my lease there too.

Be Good,

TxBowman

Edited by - txbowman on 12/02/2002 11:17:41
Old 12-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Good shot. Thats the way its supposed to be done. He probably didnt even know he had been hit.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:21 PM

sounds like the movie"green mile" dead deer walking,dead deer walking,,,,
Old 12-02-2002, 08:31 PM

Congratulations! I'm jealous! lol

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:49 PM

Nice shot. Maybe I can get lucky and get a deer. This is going to be my first year bow hunting and I havent even got to go yet. It is starting to tick me off.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!!

"ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP, CAPTAIN!"
Old 12-03-2002, 06:02 AM
Banned

The exact same thing happened to me this year except I knew I had mortally wounded the deer. The deer went about 60 yards and I could still see it as it stopped in its tracks, stood there, wobbled a bit and then dropped. Shot totally destroyed the heart. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Dead Deer Running...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.