Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
14.29%
No
85.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Blaze orange

Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Blaze orange

who thinks we should use blaze orange all hunting season
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blaze orange

I would. Makes it easyier to find them.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would hate to go in the woods with all those gun hunters without blaze orange on me, seems crazy. I think we only need it during gun an muzzle loader season.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Not JUST no....but a huge, resounding....NO! I hate that I have to wear it during rifle season.....Note that I said I hate to, not that I don't.....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

NO THANKS.I only hunt big game with a bow on private ground.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i too HATE wearing it. exspecially once the leave drop. i dont care if deer cant see orange or not. you stand out like a big orange idiot 25foot up in a tree. it messes with my mind and confidence if nothing else.

on the other hand i live and hunt in PA. needless to say i wear it..just hate it. i even wear more than required alot of times. tooo many other hunting seasons in our archery season. when i dont have to keep it on(allowed to be removed when stationary as long as 100sq inches is displayed) i hang my hat up in the tree and wrap my vest around the tree. when i do that i dont feel so bad..but know im still visible to hunters. though i dont know. one day i did that. hat hung as high up above me as possible and vest wrapped and zipped up around the tree above my head so its visible 360 degrees i had a squirrel hunter come and sit down within shooting range of me! he never knew i was there till i grunted just to see his reaction. that time of the season i wasnt required to display any on stand. another time i was climbing in my vest and hat. i look over the gas line and a turkey hunter walks over and sits down. i keep climbing. he looks and stared at me for the longest time. he watched me for 15 minutes. called for a while..watched me some more and then left. those are some good reason WHY i wear it or display it. i dont know how you can miss blaze orange 20 foot up in a tree..
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM

It is my understanding that here in NC we do not have to wear blaze orange if bowhunting no matter if gun season is in or not...I still wear it(blaze orange hat)to and from stand, however I don't know what good it does in the pitch dark on the way out?[8D]AlthoughI would find it hard to believe that a game warden could sneak in the woods and find me in a tree without my hat on before I could hear or see him coming??
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd support stricter hunter ed before I'd support mandatory blaze, if you're too stupid to identify your target before firing you're too stupid to be in the woods with a weapon.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Michigan you have to wear blaze orange during the gun and muzzle loading season's at all times.
But during the spring turkey season it only states that you have to wear going in and coming out of your hunting area.
Once your in your blind or stand you can remove it but with so many crazy gun toting yahoos out there it's best to keep it on.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out about 4 years ago, it was the late season and bow and ML were both open.It was about 3 days before the end of season, Id filled my ML tag already and wanted to take a doe with my bow before it closed.Id been watching a big bunch of does come out of a slough every night and go back into it every morning on this little finger of dry ground that runs back into the slough.I got there before daylight, found a spot to sit tucked back into the cattails downwind of the dry ground, and waited for sunrise.When the sun came up I noticed two things, the deer were getting ready to cross back over to my side of the road, and there was a ML hunter set up about 100 yrds away upwind of the crossing.I didnt have any orange on and it became obvious after he lifted his gun up that he didnt know I was there.I finally stood up, waved at him and walked back out before the deer came across.

I dont like mandatory orange for bowhunting, if Im 20 ft up a tree Id like to think nobodies gonna be shooting at deer that high up.If Im on private ground most of the time Im the only one there.But if theres a gun season in progress Im gonna carry some orange along anyway even though I dont have to while bowhunting.I put myself in a bad spot that morning, public ground, thick cover, hunting from the ground, gun season open.If the gun hunter hadnt been wearing orange things might have gotten ugly.Id of never seen him in the dim light.

Quick Reply: Blaze orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.