HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blaze orange
Thread: Blaze orange
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 AM
petasux
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blaze orange

I was out about 4 years ago, it was the late season and bow and ML were both open.It was about 3 days before the end of season, Id filled my ML tag already and wanted to take a doe with my bow before it closed.Id been watching a big bunch of does come out of a slough every night and go back into it every morning on this little finger of dry ground that runs back into the slough.I got there before daylight, found a spot to sit tucked back into the cattails downwind of the dry ground, and waited for sunrise.When the sun came up I noticed two things, the deer were getting ready to cross back over to my side of the road, and there was a ML hunter set up about 100 yrds away upwind of the crossing.I didnt have any orange on and it became obvious after he lifted his gun up that he didnt know I was there.I finally stood up, waved at him and walked back out before the deer came across.

I dont like mandatory orange for bowhunting, if Im 20 ft up a tree Id like to think nobodies gonna be shooting at deer that high up.If Im on private ground most of the time Im the only one there.But if theres a gun season in progress Im gonna carry some orange along anyway even though I dont have to while bowhunting.I put myself in a bad spot that morning, public ground, thick cover, hunting from the ground, gun season open.If the gun hunter hadnt been wearing orange things might have gotten ugly.Id of never seen him in the dim light.