Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hang-on Stand Safety Question >

Hang-on Stand Safety Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hang-on Stand Safety Question

Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default Hang-on Stand Safety Question

I know that many bowhunters prefer a hang-on stand with ladder sticks because they can be used with trees that have limbs which cannot be cut.

A question for you: how do you connect your safety harness to the tree while you are attaching the ladder/stand? I understand that in many cases the ladder and stand are carried in at the beginning of the hunt and then back out at the end of the day.

Do you simply assemble the ladder, attach it to the tree as you climb, and attach the stand at the desired height without using a safety harness, waiting until you are ready to get onto the stand before attaching the harness? Do you use a line-man's rope to secure to the tree as you climb? If you use the line-man's method, don't you need to have two ropes so that you can attach the second rope above a limb before releasing the rope that is beneath the limb? Or do you just take your chances?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hang-on Stand Safety Question

I use a Hunter Safety System when I am in the tree.

When I am hanging tree stands and climbing the tree I actually use the adjustable safety belt that Gorilla used to make. It is an adjustable rope that you put around the tree while you climb. I don't believe that they make them anymore though.

I can post a picture if needed as I can't find them on the web anymore.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question BowHntrRick.
But let's clear up one misconception first. A ladder stand 'usually' stays attached to the tree until you're ready to abandon that location. The Climber stand would be the stand that is raised and lowered on every hunt. Some guys leave them hidden in the bush when not in the stand others take them back to their vehicles. Your judgement!

However putting up a ladder stand is easier with the help of a buddy. Assembly the completestand on the ground. Set the bottom of the stand, assuming the ground is level, close to the bottom of the tree. You can loosely secure the bottom of the ladder to the tree so as to keep the stand from moving away when the stand is beingraised towards the tree.The Ladder and seat then points perpendicularfrom the tree (on the ground).
Then lift the assembled stand, from the seat end (with a buddy) towards the tree.
At this stage you'll have to support the weight of the stand and it's raised towards the tree.
Once the top of the stand comes into contact with the tree, use the two ropes supplied and secure the stand to the tree at the highestlevel you can reachwhile still standing on firm ground.
The bottom of the ladder should be away from the bottom of the tree, but not too far, so as to cause the ladder to bow in the middle when assending the stand.
This is when it gets a little risky. You'll pretty much now have to climb the ladder step by step, with your buddy holding it against the tree along with the two ropes you've secured. Assuming you're wearing a full harness of course, as soon as you can get the safety rope around the tree and secured back into the D loop of your harness the better you'll be. From here you'll raise the rope going around the tree with both hands as you climb the ladder step by step.
Once at the top, secure your rope closer to the tree and get the ratchet strap around the tree and secure to the back of the seat on either side.
I always add an extra ratchet (not supplied with the stand) for added security and assurance. A chain that cannot be bitten by the critters is always best--as I've had webbings bitten in the past and that just isn't good! Period!
Be safe--have a friend with ya!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM

the hunter safety system makes one of those lineman belts with the rope that attaches to your vest i think that it came out last year.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

After reading his original post, it is somewhat unclear what type of stand he is referring to. Are you talking about hang-ons with ladder sticks or ladder stands? Or both?

I read it as a hang on with sticks as attached below.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gut Check

After reading his original post, it is somewhat unclear what type of stand he is referring to. Are you talking about hang-ons with ladder sticks or ladder stands? Or both?

I see you like my elastic motorcycle net ideaWorks great, doesn't it? Try it on your Double Bull blind bag too to hold your chair, turkey decoy, and other stuff too.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i put up all of my stands without a safty harness. I climb up and attach as i go. I have a person with me just in case i fall, but i have not yet(nock on wood). But it has worked good for me and i like the idea u are using with your stands about how to hold them toghether,Gut Check. I think i am going to do that.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

When I hang a hang-on stand w/ a climbing stick, I use a linesmans type safety strap in conjunction with my full-body safety harness. I can relax backwards into the strap support while leaving both hands free to secure each section of the stick while ascending up the tree.

Before starting up the tree attaching the stick, I tie a rope to the hang-on stand and the other end to my belt. When the stick is in position and secured to the tree, I place the tree strap end of my safety harness on the tree.

Pull the stand up and attach to the tree. Secured to the tree with the safety harness and supported by the linemans strap, attachment of the stand is quick and safe.

I also like to position the platform of the hang-on stand about 2-3 feet below the top of the stick so that you can maintain a three-point connection while stepping DOWN onto the platform.

With a climbing stickor a ladder type stand, it can be difficult to attach a safety strap as you are climbing upward. A caribeener (sp?) can be used to keep your strap attached to ever other rung or so of a ladder stand, but still not a reliable application on a climbing stick.

Just as in climbing a ladder to trim a tree branch in your yard orcleaning the gutters, MAINTAIN a three-point connection at all times. Also when climbing a ladder type stand, never lean outward or away from the ladder. Follow the belt buckle rule - never allow your body to extend to either side that would position your belt buckle outside ofthe vertical rails of the ladder.

As far as safety goes, the ladder stand has a slight safety advantageas compared to a stick ( I use both )mainly because of the added support of the side rails and the wider rung width.

Most treestand falls occur while going up or climbing down, so the three-point rule applies more than ever. The majority of treestand deaths happen because the user did not unload a firearm before ascending or decending from a stand ( shot themselves ).

Hope this helps...
Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I see you like my elastic motorcycle net idea Works great, doesn't it? Try it on your Double Bull blind bag too to hold your chair, turkey decoy, and other stuff too.
you are correct HCH. I saw your post back in October and picked the motorcycle nets up from Wal-Mart that evening. They work a lot better than standard bungie's. My chair fits in my DBB bag so the netting isn't needed when I carry in my DBB. Plus I usually go set up the DBB a day or two prior to actually hunting it. It hasn't been stolen...yet!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I see you like my elastic motorcycle net ideaWorks great, doesn't it? Try it on your Double Bull blind bag too to hold your chair, turkey decoy, and other stuff too.
you are correct HCH. I saw your post back in October and picked the motorcycle nets up from Wal-Mart that evening. They work a lot better than standard bungie's. My chair fits in my DBB bag so the netting isn't needed when I carry in my DBB. Plus I usually go set up the DBB a day or two prior to actually hunting it. It hasn't been stolen...yet!
LOL; glad you like it. I posted that on AT and a guy said that his whole year of being a member wasjustmade worthwhileby learning about the elastic net idea I gave him. They really shine in being able to put layered clothing under that you will wear once up in your stand. I hardly wear much for clothing when hiking to my stand location so as not to work up a sweat which causes odor and gets you cold once in the stand. I have used these nets for years for keeping items attached to my T-Bag when taking harley trips. I challenge you to put your Double bull chair under it too on your blind bag;way easier than shoving the chair in your bag. You are brave with leaving your DBblind out all night. I did one night but I wove a thick 20'cable through the hub rods and attached and padlocked it to a fence. I still worried about it. The only ones to be able to find it in the evening where I hunt on private land would be a coon hunter that was trespassing, but you never know. Everybody knows that a DB blind is $400 sitting there.

Bowrick; need more details to answer your question. ladder stand or hang on with sticks or steps?

Quick Reply: Hang-on Stand Safety Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.