Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Off Season Scouting >

Off Season Scouting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Off Season Scouting

Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Off Season Scouting

Don't you guys think we should have a post at the top of page 1 this time of year that reviews scouting?

Anatomy charts---take good pics---what to do after the shot--be proud of what you shoot.........these are always at the top before and during the season for obvious timing reasons. Since we should all be scouting right now and this could be the most beneficial information for someone to have a successful 2007 it just seems logical to me.

Aerial photos, topo maps, when to go, what to do, what to look for and what it means, public vs private, big woods vs small plots......there is so much info involved in scouting, plus it evolves as the off season progresses. I just think it could be VERY helpful. We spend so much time talking about what happens during the month or 2 of the hunting season and not that much about what we could and should be doing the other 10 months of the year to increase our chances of success. There is so much more to hunting then just hanging stands at the end of summer over some deer sign.

So, I'll start.

I like aerial photos A LOT.......but not for the reason that some may think. Most of the private property I hunt is small (under 100 acres) so this handicaps me in the traditional sense of finding their bedding areas and food sources then figuring out travel routes in between and you're in business. It's not that easy on smaller plots IMO. Depending on the makeup of the land it could contain a great bedding area, a great food source, or neither and just be part of a travel route between the two. My point is that I use aerial photos to study the bordering properties as much as the one I get to hunt. Figuring out where and when the deer will enter the property from adjacent land is valuable info in my book because if they are just passing through you better know where because your window to catch them is small. Seeing as how I can't physically go on the neighboring properties I think aerial photos are a great way to obtain this kind of info.

I'll wait and see where this goes. I would love to hear about what people do on foot during the offseason. How deep do you go??, Do you try and get in and get out as quick as possible or do you not care about bumping deer around?? Do you observe now and if so how much and from where? Do you observe from in the woods like from a stand or glassing from far away??

I know this is a HUGE topic so I am trying to think of the best way to discuss it without bouncing all over the place so nothing gets skipped or overlooked. We could cover one subject at a time or go chronologically or just lay out whole routines. I guess I should wait to see if anyone else is even interested first.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Default RE: Off Season Scouting

ORIGINAL: Germ

Atlas here is link that was started last night with some good info

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1924079

I do all my scountingin Jan & Feb. Go ahead and bump them all you want in those two months.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Atlas here is another link Buckeye started!! really good info

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1909798&mpage=1

Eberhart had a DVD coming out, I read you were reading his book. He hunts north of me about 2 hrs. I take it you are going to try and shoot some thing a little older next year?

Well if so good luck!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

I agree scouting is improtant all year round and using areial photos is a good resourceful tool especiallyif you want to see adjacent land.
It also helps keep your foot work down to a minimun , but when your out walking looking for sheds , old rubs , scrape lines and other good deer sign.
You can also do some pre season scouting for the up coming turkey season as well , don't worry about bumping deer they forget about your visit before the next deer season comes.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

I have posted this on two different threads now....boy am I getting lazy.

But I think it applies to this one as well so.............Number three!

I love to hunt staging areas and natural funnels, I will take a walk through my prespective hunting area and look for trails, sign, etc.... I am alsolooking for bedding and feeding areas, once located is when I try to find either a staging area or a natural funnel between the two spots. I have found that if there is a field between the two (bedding area and main feeding area) there will almost always be some sort of staging area where the deer seem to hang out before moving across the field. These spots while plentyfull with deer are tough to slip in and out of,andit is a must that you pay very close attention to the wind direction in these spots.

Funnels I have found work very well even if the wind isn't perfect. It's the does I pay attention to, if they are mostly using this funnel then you can bet your a$$ that come the rut they will bring the bucks in tow as well.

I rarely try to pattern a buck. I have done it before but I have found it to be too hit or miss. During the rut they will travel different routes more often than when not rutting. The does on the other hand seem to keep status quo even during the rut. I have had great luck setting up just off ofa highly traveledpath, especially during the peek of the rut.Even if a buck is pushing a doe they will tend to stay close to their normal route and normal feeding/bedding areas. Being in that area will increase you chances of getting a shot at them.

This is another reason why I tend to wait till later in the season shoot does. I don't want them to change their travel routes because someyahoo (me) is in a tree taking shots at them! If the does feel safe in their routes they will continue to use them even during the rut and that's what I want.

This is what I lookfor at least.
To add to this, I have found that the main deer paths will get used year after year after year, I will start to scout during the winter months just after the season closes, I find it much easier in the snow.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

This kind of fits the situation I am facing exactly. I gained permission to a new place but have yet to set foot on it. Within these next couple months I plan to makea few trips there. I will walk the entire place. I probably won't go into any of the real nasty spots, no need to bowl thru them. I'll look for oaks and other food sources. I already know they plant some sparse corn and the deer dome out to feed in this other feild as well despite no plantings. I'll look for rub lines and trails, edges and funnels. I will also look for stand sites from other hunters as there is another guy who hunts the place. I don't like to hunt where other guys are. I'll turkey hunt over there as well, but hope to have a lot of what I need to see, already seen by then. If the place has any good vantage points I'll note them and spend some evenings in late summer watching and seeing what I can. Otherwise it'll be next season when I set foot on the place again.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you Atlas. Great idea.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM

I do all my scountingin Jan & Feb. Go ahead and bump them all you want in those two months.
Even on smaller plots??.........I ask this because I try not to disturb my smaller areas as much or as deep as I do bigger woods........especially if the bedding area is on the small plot. My feelings are that the deer treat their bedding area with the most regards for safety. They know when they travel and/or when they eat they could run into trouble but those are risks they feel they have to take. If they don't feel safe in bed then they may move on (which can make all the differenece in a small plot even if they only go a little ways............a little ways could mean I will never see them again.

What is your take on this strategy for smaller areas?? Still OK to give them the boot??
Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Couplemore things, remember you have to find a way in and out that you will not disturb the deer. This is no 1 in my book. You can have a great spot, but if you can not get into itand hunt it, well it is pretty worthless IMO.

Look for a Primary scrape area, this will be in the woods and is a mature bucks home range. You will see 3-4 scrapes in kindoff a circle. Then I look fora bedding area inthe area. Find a funnel between the too and look out!!

Note Scrapes on the edge of fields are worthless IMO. A mature buck lives and works in cover!!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Even on smaller plots??.........I ask this because I try not to disturb my smaller areas as much or as deep as I do bigger woods........especially if the bedding area is on the small plot. My feelings are that the deer treat their bedding area with the most regards for safety. They know when they travel and/or when they eat they could run into trouble but those are risks they feel they have to take. If they don't feel safe in bed then they may move on (which can make all the differenece in a small plot even if they only go a little ways............a little ways could mean I will never see them again.

What is your take on this strategy for smaller areas?? Still OK to give them the boot??
yep, they will be back next season. One of my best bedding area's is 20 acre woods. I scout each year in jan. March is the deadline for me, past march I stay out.

The deer have been pushed for 2-3 months, soa scounting trip is not going to hurt.

I still wear rubber boots and use scent control as if I was hunting. I even set the stand this time of year. I will cut all the shooting lanes, etc. Then in Sept make a quick trip to hang the stand. I am in 100% hunting mode. All scent control, thenI do not hunt these spots until Rut, last weekend in Oct for me.

Quick Reply: Off Season Scouting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.