HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Season Scouting
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
atlasman

Default Off Season Scouting

Don't you guys think we should have a post at the top of page 1 this time of year that reviews scouting?

Anatomy charts---take good pics---what to do after the shot--be proud of what you shoot.........these are always at the top before and during the season for obvious timing reasons. Since we should all be scouting right now and this could be the most beneficial information for someone to have a successful 2007 it just seems logical to me.

Aerial photos, topo maps, when to go, what to do, what to look for and what it means, public vs private, big woods vs small plots......there is so much info involved in scouting, plus it evolves as the off season progresses. I just think it could be VERY helpful. We spend so much time talking about what happens during the month or 2 of the hunting season and not that much about what we could and should be doing the other 10 months of the year to increase our chances of success. There is so much more to hunting then just hanging stands at the end of summer over some deer sign.

So, I'll start.

I like aerial photos A LOT.......but not for the reason that some may think. Most of the private property I hunt is small (under 100 acres) so this handicaps me in the traditional sense of finding their bedding areas and food sources then figuring out travel routes in between and you're in business. It's not that easy on smaller plots IMO. Depending on the makeup of the land it could contain a great bedding area, a great food source, or neither and just be part of a travel route between the two. My point is that I use aerial photos to study the bordering properties as much as the one I get to hunt. Figuring out where and when the deer will enter the property from adjacent land is valuable info in my book because if they are just passing through you better know where because your window to catch them is small. Seeing as how I can't physically go on the neighboring properties I think aerial photos are a great way to obtain this kind of info.

I'll wait and see where this goes. I would love to hear about what people do on foot during the offseason. How deep do you go??, Do you try and get in and get out as quick as possible or do you not care about bumping deer around?? Do you observe now and if so how much and from where? Do you observe from in the woods like from a stand or glassing from far away??

I know this is a HUGE topic so I am trying to think of the best way to discuss it without bouncing all over the place so nothing gets skipped or overlooked. We could cover one subject at a time or go chronologically or just lay out whole routines. I guess I should wait to see if anyone else is even interested first.