Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do decoys work for deer??? >

do decoys work for deer???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do decoys work for deer???

Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do decoys work for deer???

Abuck will approach another buck head on ready to fight,or run away. I usually remove one antler and leave a small one to make the decoy appear weak and vulnerable. A doe decoy will usually be approached from the rear esp. during the rut,best to place some estrous scent there. A large dominant decoy will intimidate many deer.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I learned again. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

More often than not, (whenthey even show up)deer just ignore decoys, especially if they are not alone. Some are actually spooked. Those that show interestoften hang up out of range. Occassionally,one willsaunter over for a closer look and let you get a shot.Decoys arefun to play with throughout the season, but nothing I care to use with frequency.

This photo is over a decade old, and shows my first success with a homemade plywood deer cutout. The buck crossed a field to check out the "doe" fromabout 10 feet away on the last day of archery season...evidence that decoys don't need to be anything expensive or fancy.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

They work

Old 01-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you set up right in this pic. I thought a buck will generaly approch from the rear of the decoy. Of course this little guy proves me wrong but he is just that, a little guy. And if your buck hunting wouldn't you use a buck decoy?
The decoy is set up as a buck, if you look closely you will see his antlers in the beans. Bucks will almost always come in from the front or side. I have never saw a buck approach a buck decoy from behind.

It is the doe decoy where the buck will approach from behind.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Are you set up right in this pic. I thought a buck will generaly approch from the rear of the decoy. Of course this little guy proves me wrong but he is just that, a little guy. And if your buck hunting wouldn't you use a buck decoy?
The decoy is set up as a buck, if you look closely you will see his antlers in the beans. Bucks will almost always come in from the front or side. I have never saw a buck approach a buck decoy from behind.

It is the doe decoy where the buck will approach from behind.

I think Rick has the real deer and the decoy confused. He seems to be asking why you aren't using a buck decoy ( you are)
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do the doe decoys or the buck decoys work better? For buck hunting
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got the same deke buckeye's got above (the Carry-Lite), and set mine up slightly quartering to me... for the same reason: bucks will circle around to get in front of a rival buck.

Bullet Hole, I've seen lots and lots of commentary saying that dekes set up as does will spook other does, but if it's set up as a buck they'll ignore it. Because of that, I've never even set mine up as a doe.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

I have a flambeau redi doe and I mounted antlers on it from an old 3d deer target. I have had some good success with it. When used stricktly as a doe I have had a lot of does spook at it. I plan on getting the buckwing bobble head buck this year and maybe bed the doe down beside him 5 yds away by taking off her legs.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed does being extra cautious around a doe decoy. Stomping and snorting at it. Bucks are a different story

Quick Reply: do decoys work for deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.