Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 delayed gratification >

delayed gratification

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

delayed gratification

Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 AM

Default RE: delayed gratification

Why does it matter to you what anyone else kills or shoots or anything else for that matter? You do what you want and leave me alone thank you very much.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow this thread does have an end!

Keep passing on all those less than 100" deer. I'll just keep shooting and filling the freezer. Thanks for doing your part to make my hunting that much better.

Tom
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tom if only he lived in MI he could help you, lOL

Tom I say we fund a trip to the UP for the lad, lets see how picky he gets there
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailsoldier

Unless these were your first couple of deer, Unless your young
unless your deer population is 1 for every ten square miles why?

heres a list
Member: Oneshot7
Member: MALLARDMAN21
Member: Theinespines3
Member: SRBowman
Member: Western MA Hunter
Member: HUNGAR
Member: APAJaws
Member: bowhuntinoh
Member: Rick James
Member: atlasman
Member: duckdog132
Member: Q2INWHITETAILS
Member: Vogt 51
Member: bowhunter2117
Member: NEW61375
Member: North4
Member: Buck Magnet
Member: Wheatley
Member: Pa Trophy Man
Member: HighCountry BruteForce
Member: mitchmtm1
Member:AR 34 eight point
Member: leverdude
Just a few.....If you have an excuse I'd like to hear it otherwise I've stated my point. If its one of your first bucks cool, If your young cool, If it was your first deer with a bow cool, If not why did you shoot?

[hr]

Think of all the potential bucks in 2009
Whitetailsoldier,

Because I can.Let me add this, I don't need an excuse. An excuse by definition would mean that I somehow feel I did something wrongor I did something I needed to apologize for orthere is something I have to justify. I don't have todo any of these thingsbecause the deer I killed I wanted and intended tokill. Ihunt to kill deer, maybe not every deer I see but a lot of them.In nature the strong survive, if that six pointer I killed with my bow or the 5 pointer I killed with my blackpowder had been a little smarter they might be alive today(they weren't and they are not). I am not a trophy hunter, a horn hunter, ora mature deer hunter. I am a deer hunter. If you are something else that is youroption, congratulations on your choice. You say things like"Think of all the potential bucks in 2009." as ifmy onlycareisbig bucks, I'm sorry to dissapoint but it isn't. Don't get me wrong Ienjoy taking a nice buck but I don't obsess over it and I am not worried about 2009 except to say if the good lord is willing I will be here to hunt that year. There may come a time in the future when I will have more time to putin and maybe then I will focus more on some of the big bucks in the areas I hunt (as there is no shortage) butuntil then and even then I will still shoot whatever I want as long as it is legal and in season and I am not concerned in the least with what you think about that.I would not even have responded to this steaming pile of a thread had you not specifically called me out on your above list as if I am somehow an inferior hunter because I don't practice the sameQDM or harvesting methods as you.You must have a great view from up there it is unfortunate that you feel you must look down your nose at others and try to lessen their accomplishments because they are not as great a hunter as you.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

here's my thinking:
I hunt frequently, I have seen most likely an average amount of deer. Some were big some little...all shapes and sizes. Out of the respect for the deer I let the smaller bucks go. Hopefully they will pass on their seed and be become bigger as the years go on.I was raised musky fishing, the relevancy is its always fun to catch a musky, but when I landed a thirty pounder, my thought process changed. that was the goal..to reach my goal was outstanding. It was the best feeling I've ever had. Those bucks are potential. Does it matter if a few are taken here or there(probably not). But every time I see a small buck I know the struggle he's gone through to get there. The odds he's had to face..against man..against nature. I don't want that bucks life to stop short for someone's pleasure for just this season. Delayed gratification is what I named this thread. Setting your goals is what this sport is about...I have no right to tell you what your goals should be. I did get a pretty good rise out of you guys. IL bow season ends tomorrow! I'm going out from 4:30am-probably 6pm. If I see a small one..Less than 100"...I'll let him go. Hopefully he'll make it a couple more years. I realize a button this year will be a trophy when my kids start hunting. My point in this whole thread(besides starting sh*t) Is to explain if you truely understand and respect the deer you'll let them reach their potential. As far as 100" goes I'm sure that will change as i become a better hunter. I'm not a very good one, Second I say 100" because that deer has probably passed on his gene, he is definatly a good buck. no one is asking you to only take the pope/youngs just give the young ones a couple years!
I'm out-
Sorry to those I've offended I'm sure theres alot.
What agem of a quote this is. "If you truely understand and respect the deer....."

I remember when I was around 21 and knew everything.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=489

why do we talk aboutNOT shooting small bucks, How do you justify small bucks...I don't care if your ten years old,why?
Anyone disagree? Shooting small bucks is not an ego thing. It doesn't matter how big they are as long as they're mature. Theres no reason to shoot a buck under 100" no matter where your from! leave the small ones Its called Hunting, not shooting the first thing that comes along![*]To pursue (game) for food or sport.[*]To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges.[*]To make use of (hounds, for example) in pursuing game.[*]To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill: hunted down the escaped convict.[*]To seek out; search for.[*]To drive out forcibly, especially by harassing; chase away: hunted the newcomers out of town.
[ol][/ol]

[hr]

Killing spikes is not hunting!
Go ahead defend yourselves!
You're an I-D-I-O-T

Worry about your kills and everyone else will worry about theirs. Your thread makes me want to buy IL tags next year and find some land to hunt neer Woodstock and shoot every spike and fork horn I see.

Maybe that is what we should do. Everyone get together and set up a week long hunting trip to the great Woodstock, IL and shoot everything we see and take pics for good 'ol whitetailsoldier. We have plenty of time to plan it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but you said you had three bucks mounted over 100" in one post and in another post you said you have never killed a buck???

How come your apologizing now? You knew this would cause a stir.[&:]

Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Unless these were your first couple of deer, Unless your young
unless your deer population is 1 for every ten square miles why?

heres a list
Member: Oneshot7
Member: MALLARDMAN21
Member: Theinespines3
Member: SRBowman
Member: Western MA Hunter
Member: HUNGAR
Member: APAJaws
Member: bowhuntinoh
Member: Rick James
Member: atlasman
Member: duckdog132
Member: Q2INWHITETAILS
Member: Vogt 51
Member: bowhunter2117
Member: NEW61375
Member: North4
Member: Buck Magnet
Member: Wheatley
Member: Pa Trophy Man
Member: HighCountry BruteForce
Member: mitchmtm1
Member:AR 34 eight point
Member: leverdude
Just a few.....If you have an excuse I'd like to hear it otherwise I've stated my point. If its one of your first bucks cool, If your young cool, If it was your first deer with a bow cool, If not why did you shoot?

[hr]

Think of all the potential bucks in 2009
I personally dont understand why you would drag names into this and put members, including myself on the spot. I was dam* proud of my buck this year. He may have been small, and maybe not my first and am 21 years old. I hunt public landand was pushed off mystand earlythat morning. Seeing deer all the time would be great but i dont. My father has only killed 2 bucks in 21 years of hunting and each only had 1 horn.

I never chime in on these things but since i was called out i figured i should. I shoot the small ones cause i can. I would shoot a big one if ihad the chance. My standard is not about size. Whitetails are hard to hunt... and getting one is an accomplishment. It makes me feel great to be lookeddown onfor something i am so proud of. But hey, i canlook down on those to dont get the excitement and pride out of every deer like i do.

Quick question aslo if you wont shoot little bucks, how do you feel when you shoot a doe. I know i getexcited, do you look at it as a chore?

There is also the problem of CWD where i shot mybuck so we shoot ifwe can.

Pines