Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you guys fear when in the stand? >

What do you guys fear when in the stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys fear when in the stand?

Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 AM

Default RE: What do you guys fear when in the stand?

I am not the biggest fan of heights, so if in stand in a smallish tree and the wind is kicking up, I do get a little anxious about falling out and the tree breaking. I always wear a safety harness though.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fear the tree I'm in snapping off on a windy day.

I fear an ADJACENT tree snapping off and clipping me.

That's about it....
Me Too!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I "fear" anything. For one, I don't climb that high, typically 12-15 feet. The area I hunt if I climb much higher the tree canopy gets in the way and I'm limited on shooting lanes. Land owner isn't crazy about cutting branches/small trees and doesn't like screw in anythings.

Secondly, my Summit 180 stand is rock solid so the fear of falling doesn't exist.

I'd have to say the only thing I "fear" is forgetting to hook my pull-up rope to my bow or muzzleloader. I HAVE done that before......got all the way up and start pulling up my rope with nothing attached to the other end! ARGH!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slipping in wet rubber boots on the way up and catching my sac on a tree step. Sans the sag, up the annie, cause for concern.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Slipping in wet rubber boots on the way up and catching my sac on a tree step. Sans the sag, up the annie, cause for concern.
Ya I guess I now have another fear! Thanks for putting that image in my mind!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

what i'm afraid of
[ol][*]running out of light![*]being in the wrong spot, just out of range of a nice trophy[*]falling asleep in my stand[*]shooting a deer i can't retrive[*]somehow breaking something on my bow[*]last but not least getting "BUSTED" by deer. Sight,smell,wahtever[/ol]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Ducsauce, That happened to me this year. Went to shawnee for first time. Climbed up in tree before dat light. Pulled my bow up and was getting ready to grab it, off it came. It crashed to the ground. I had to work the climber back down (1st time using a climber) the tree. Reattached bow, climbed back up to about 10ft. I was drinched from sweat and[:@]. So that where I stayed. After cooling down I checked bow(with small light) looked ok. Drew it back very slowly, looking away of course, seemed ok. Ended up taking a Doe at 22 yrds about hour and a half later. So now I double check the pull rope.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

that happened to me my first year bow hunting. I bought a PSE Nova that had a lot of extra work done to it, it was fast and quiet, but it was hard to draw. Anyways I was letting the bow down from a high stand, probably around 25 ft. Anyways the clip on the rope broke just as I was letting the bow down, down went the bow.

It landed in some leaves, but Iwas really worried. I took it to the bow shop the next day and had it check out and shot it, nothing wrong.

I really don't fear that happening again, however I do fear leaving my release at the car.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Great Horned Owls. I don't like the things at all and had to quit wearing a genuine rabbit fur hat because one swooped to close to me while on stand.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Ifear while on stand.

1. serious injury
2. being detected

Quick Reply: What do you guys fear when in the stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.