Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looking for new hunting land! >

Looking for new hunting land!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for new hunting land!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Looking for new hunting land!

I am tired of the land I hunt because the other two people that hunt it are idiots. So I was wondering if I could get some advice on finding some land that I could lease. If anyone has any land in northern Indiana that they would lease give me a pm. Whats the best way to go about getting some land to hunt.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for new hunting land!

If its new land you need,im afraid youre out of luck.You see, they dont make it any more.LOL
Sorry man,I had to do it. Most hunting relationships start as friendships.Nobody wants to pay tax on land and then let a stranger hunt all over it.Call the fish and game and ask if they have a list of agriculture tag issues.You might get lucky and find someone happy to have some deer shot.Otherwise,make a cardboard sign thet reads "WILL WORK FOR LEASE" Get all dressed up in camo and hold it up to passing trucks by a freeway overpass.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Clean up, and go to knocking on doors. Go to the court house and find who owns what. Know the guys name and introduce yourself. Anything you do like teach bowhunter safety or volunteer or whatever should come out in the conversation. You got one chance to show them you're trustworthy and will be responsible. All they can do is say no. Thank them for their time and leave. Stop back in a few months and say hi. Stop back next year and ask again. All they can do is say no.

Short story. I stopped and ask this one farmer in Georgia for about5 years straight. We always had a friendly conversation. On more than one occasion he thanked me for stopping to ask. He said so many just walk in and think they can do it. He also regularly complained of excessive deer numbers. YET, he kept saying no. I moved to Maryland. My first year in Maryland we went to Georgia over the Xmas holidays. I went hunting on some Georgia Pacific land about 4 miles down the road from his house. On the way back to the house I saw him out in a field working on a piece of machinery. I stopped and talked to him. I kept up on the weather and the farming year through a friend that owned a farm so we had something to talk about in his world. I even helped with a couple wrenches etc. I finally said, well, I got to get to town..the family is waiting on me. He said, I missed you this year...you know, not coming to ask to hunt an all. He said, "You want to hunt, you come right ahead, but don't bring anyone with you". I laughed and thanked him and told him I had moved out of state for work. He said, well if you're ever here again and need a place you come on.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to start knocking on some doors.