Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS >

GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

Old 11-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

I would like to get some opinions on a new GPS. I am hunting a large tract of national forest and I think I could expand my hunting area with a GPS. I just want to ask a few questions. (1) How simple are they to use. (2)Can you really find your stand in the dark a mile away with one. (3)Can I get a dependable one for around $200.I would appreciate all the info I can get on this.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

CANT YOU SPELL BOY?
Old 11-28-2002, 08:52 AM

hc4runner, in answer to your questions...
1) Very simple to use (carry spare batteries)
2) Usual accuracy is +-15ft to 20ft
3) $200 US will get you a smokin' GPS.

I would say look into the Garmin lines www.garmin.com or Magellan http://www.magellangps.com/en/

I currently own a Garmin Vista, and LOVE it. I've heard that the newest Magellans are comparable (though slightly larger).

Good Luck,

Jim.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

GPS are easy to use and a great tool. As far as will they get you on your stand in total darkness...probably not to the tree but close and once your in the area you find it on autopilot(your own GPS-upstairs). The accuracy depends on where you are, satellite pos., canopy of trees, etc. I have had my Garmin say accuracy within 9 feet and yet other times within 30 feet. The bottonline is it will get you in and more importantly out. Would i use one to try and goto the same spot on GPS alone...never. But I can't really see how anybody would, unless they pass it around the campfire at night and try the old chinese firefighter drill.....NOW GO!LOL

I would recommend you get one with a digital compass. Mine is etrex(yellow) and you have to move a few steps to get the compass to orientate. As such i still carry a compass with me(not such a bad idea for backup), for wind dierction, etc while sitting.

Old 11-28-2002, 10:38 AM

Not only will it get you to your stand and back, If you use some of the better topo programs, it can get you to your tree even if you have never BEEN there before.
Open your topo program, study and look for funnel zones when concidering travel routes (to/from food/bed)
Make a waypoint on your GPS as to where you want your stand, and download this to your GPS.
It'll take you right to your area, and you can find the best tree in the area to use.
Get a GPS with at least some availible memory for uploading maps (preferable one with removable memory) and one that is WAAS enabled.
Some have electronic compasses..most have compass features that work when you start moving...others have a REAL compass built in.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:26 AM

All my hunting partners and I, have, use, and swear by Magellan [315's]. If I ever need to replace mine it would be another Magellan.

Accuracy . . . to the foot.

An interesting story: For opening archery elk I found crossing trails in the Eastern Washington Cascade Mountains and around a three + mile hike from camp and set up my stand, camoflaged it, and marked it with my GPS. On opening morning I followed the GPS right to the stand area but could not find the stand in the super darkness. I had camoflaged it too well and my tree steps are the folding kind and I had them folded against the tree. I decided to sit at the base of a tree that the GPS led me to and wait for enough daylight to see the stand and get into position. When there was enough light I started looking. The last place I looked was the tree under which I sat. Sure enough my stand was 16 feet directly above my head.

Twenty-five minutes later I passed on a cow, hoping for a better shot at the third one in line. She winded me and I lost the only chance I was to get this season.

BUMMER!

Dick

Edited by - Dick Cress on 11/28/2002 12:29:55
Old 11-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys,I have been looking through my Bass Pro catalog and am thinking of buying the Magellan Meridian GPS Green. Do yall know anything about this particular model. I dont know much about them so I dont even know what WAAS enabled means. Please explain.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:02 PM

WAAS enabled basically means, it uses extra signals from the ground to further zero in on your location.
Go to magellans web page...it will show you LOTS more.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:16 PM

The following URL gives a complete explanation of WAAS and what it means.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/exe/waas.html

Dick
Old 11-30-2002, 04:37 AM

I have a Garmin GPS12XL & I don't leave home without it....works fantastic & is extremely accurate...I use it for hunting, fishing, hiking, atving, travelling etc......always carry a compass with you thought, as even the most expensive electronic toys can break down when you need it most....just my .02 cents worth...Brampton Mike

Quick Reply: GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.