Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS >

GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 AM

Default RE: GLOBAL POSITIONING STYEMS

I agree with Brampton Mike my compass is in the fitst pouch of my day bag. I always include maps of the area I'm hunting and its surrounding area as well. [Usually 2 Greentrails Maps.]

Dick
Old 11-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Garmin 12 and it works great.

If you purchase a Magellan Meridan check out this site.
http://www.gpsonsale.com/

Their prices are about 50 dollars cheaper than Cabellas or Bass Pro. I purchased 3 Meridans with all the accessories from here. These where given to our local Conservation Officers to use from the United Bowhunters of Illinois and they love them.

"Im not a guide, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently"
Old 11-30-2002, 11:23 PM
Spike

Hello

I have a webpage with info and reviews of GPS units at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/gps.html

There is also a helpful GPS forum at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/for...hp?act=SF&f=39

~spectr17
Old 12-01-2002, 07:12 AM

For exactly $200 I got a Garmin E-Trex Vista ($250 with a $50 mail-in rebate). I used it extensively while scouting and hunting this fall, and it saved my skinny butt several times. It's great to be able to devote 100% attention to scouting, knowing that the GPS will get you out of any situation (so long as your batteries don't run out). This unit is smaller than a cell phone, very light, and has a lot of memory.

Most of the time, accuracy with any unit will be 20-40 feet. This is pretty darn good, and if you can't find a tree with this you would never find it anyway. I found it very useful for knowing when to cut in the woods from a field edge, and for backtracking my way out of deep woods on a grey day. The WAAS is nice and makes the unit more accurate, but the truth is that most of the time you will not be able to get a WAAS signal- and turning this feature on drains your GPS batteries very quickly.

If you are in very mountainous country, you will have trouble getting a signal when in deep valleys. This is just the nature of the beast. Mounting the unit on a hat will increase signal strength very dramatically- if it's in a pocket, your body will block the signal. If you have a computer, and use the topo software that is available, theen you are really onto something.

Old 12-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyody said, you can get a great GPS for $200. All the types of units work basically off the same type of techology. The more you get up in price, the more gadgets you get with it too. The digital compass is very nice to have, along with a base map, and downloadable memory. With rebate right now, you can get a new vista for about $300(Cabelas and bass Pro prices), and the rebate is good through the end of december. If the vista is too much money, the summit would be the next best choice at around $180 after rebate. The summit is a lot like the vista, other than it doesn't have a base map or any downloadable memory. But is great for anybody would doesnt need it for driving.

I would recommend the Garmin models over the Magellan models, not saying the Magellans are bad though. Garmin has better software to download, easier to learn, the display has better precise detail, etc. The vista would be a great model to get. You could use it for driving just as easily as hunting and fishing. It has practically every option, except getting driving directions, which the 76s, V, and street-pilot are popular for, since they can. Good luck.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 12-01-2002, 11:29 PM

Magellan also updates their software from time to time and it can be downloaded to our 315's to keep them updated. The latest software switches to feet from target when it gets within a certain distance.

Though I couldn't find my tree stand on opening morning of elk season . . . it was only because I had camoflaged it too well and couldn't see it but mu Magellan took me right to the tree.

Dick