Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Field Dressing Suprise....Pic >

A Field Dressing Suprise....Pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Field Dressing Suprise....Pic

Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Field Dressing Suprise....Pic

You know, furgitter has a good point - the anti's would love to get hold of this thread and pics...
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

And that would concern us because.....?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look as hard as I may I can't make out the outline your describing.

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Some folks might not care for that too much so its ok that your picture is not so good.Its all part of a gutpile to me,but someones going to flip on that picture.

furgitter, get over it, this is a hunting site for crying out loud.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Don't fret over it. Our MDseason lasts until the end of January, and I hunton the QDM land. We take the ovaries out of the does, and measure any fetuses. We have a ruler that allows us to backdate the day of conception. The doe I shot yesterday was bred 10 Nov (single fetus). The doe my friend shot last week was bred 29 Oct (twins). That's 5 less deer that will be around next year...

-fsh
Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 AM

I have never seen anything like that.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 AM

Happens all the time here in NC in my part anytime you shoot a doe in December this could happen, just a part of the game
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I killed one 2 years ago with twins in her. Kinda felt bad...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I've never had a doe with a fetus in it but, I have had 3 or 4 with Milk in them. anyone else have does still nursing. That makes me feel worse, I would rather kill a pregnant doe than a doe with a brand new baby.
How about you?? I understand the course of nature but it's still a bummer!

[hr]

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The number of fawns is related to the age and health of the mother, and several outside influences such as the size of the herd. A crowded area may cause mothers to have only one fawn or to not have any due to stress and low nutrition. Obviously nutrition wasn't the limiting factor here but high pop numbers could be retarding the fawning numbers.

As far as feeling bad, well I wouldn't worry about it. How many of you have cracked an egg? Same difference. If you take a doe this late in the season you are most likely going to be killing a pregnant doe. Just treat them both with the respect they deserve and utilize her properly and it will be a good thing.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am always amused by those of us who have no problem slicing open a deer, cutting the wind pipe, and literally ripping the heart and guts out of the body cavity, perform a post mortem autopsy handling the liver, lungs, and heartto see how the broadhead performed; but wince at a photo of a freshly removed fetus from the same species.

Most any mature doe taken this time of year above the Mason Dixon lineis carrying a fetus. Depending on the age of the fetus, they are not always easy to find when dressing out the animal. Many don't even realize they are there.I do not find it morbid in the least to search, find, and photograph a fetus.From my perspective it enhancesthe learning process of the game we pursue.

The story and the photo were done in good taste. It is what it is; another of Nature's cycles....observe, learn, and be the wiser.......

Quick Reply: A Field Dressing Suprise....Pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.