Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 properly using grunt and bleat calls >

properly using grunt and bleat calls

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

properly using grunt and bleat calls

Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Default properly using grunt and bleat calls

I would liketo learn all the do's and don'ts of using a grunt tube or bleat call. Can anyone point me in the right direction? website articles, audio clips etc. I seem to do alright, but sometimes I wonder if I spook them more oftenusing the wrong techniqueduring different stages of the rut. I have smaller bucks respond more often than the bigger bucks. The bigger bucks have looked my way letting me know they are aware, but go on doing their business and eventually out of site.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: properly using grunt and bleat calls

Yeah the big boys have probably heard it all before! If you got his attention with a grunt and then he didn't come in by all means grunt again. I've grunted 2-3x before they've come in to investigate. A decoy helps ,sometimes they won't come if they don't see the other deer. I had two forkies sparring and I grunted but they looked and then ran away. Did't want their a$$ kicked by a deer the could not see and size up. Once he starts coming your way DO NOT GRUNT, he may locate exactly where the sound is coming from,up in the tree. Haven't had much luck with doe bleats so I can't help you there.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:55 AM

not sure what part of NY you are from but I do know they have metro parks with deer. I go to a local metro park and try different things with my grunts and bleats. it has helped I have learned a lot of what not to dos
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm about 250 miles northof the big city, lol Lots of country here without needing to climb a tree in central park.